Menu

What video format to use in DVDStyler?

Help
2015-09-19
2015-09-20
  • Garrett Green

Garrett Green - 2015-09-19

Does it make a difference which video format I use in DVDStyler? I've been using WMV files, but I converted some of them to MOV files & discovered that they are MUCH smaller. Does that matter? Can I fit more video on a DVD if I use a format that makes smaller video files?

• JMJ

JMJ - 2015-09-20

Does that matter?

Yes. But not in the sense you're thinking of :-)

Can I fit more video on a DVD if I use a format that makes smaller video files?

The size of the source files you use is not important as such. What's important is the playtime as:

Size = Playtime * Bitrate.

Since the size is given by the DVD disc the more playtime you put on it the lower bitrate you need to fit the disc, ie you lower the quality. Perhaps watch the movie at the end of the post (It messed up the post placing it here)

So why those it matters that you convert a WMV movie to a MOV? Because each time you make such conversion you loose quality. Perhaps think of it like this: If you zip a file you can unzip the file and restore the original. However when you make a loosy conversion from WMV to MOV you loose information and you can no longer restore the original WMV from the converted MOV, ie you lost quality so you should avoid such unnecessary conversions.

DVDStyler uses a constant bit rate (CBR) for making a DVD. Qualitywise it may be OK at high bitrates however at lower bitrates it migth be benifically to use variable bit rates (VBR) where more bitrate is allocated to parts of a movie where it is needed and less where it is not as important to maintain good qualty.

A user, Manolito, has provided a mean to use VBR in DVDStyler. You can find it here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/dvdstyler/discussion/318795/thread/4a559ea3/

Cheers

Last edit: JMJ 2015-09-20