Menu

Can I create an animated opening menu screen?

Help
2014-09-15
2014-09-25
  • Fred Decker

Fred Decker - 2014-09-15

Can I create a DVD that has an opening screen with no buttons that shows a 10 second looping video? I need to create an image that loops indefinitely. Then, when I play on the remote for my DVD, I want it to play the only other file on the disk, 10 seconds long. Then go back to the animated main menu screen. I know you can do this on some authoring programs. If I can't do that, how do I tell DS to do the same thing with a static image. Maybe a background image?

• Fred Decker

Fred Decker - 2014-09-17

No takers so I will answer myself. With a lot more google-ing and reading, I saw a mention in a PDF tutorial that DS CAN have animated menu backgrounds. The background properties dialog needs some work as it is very unintuitive. First, the background "image" field should make it clear that it supports video as well. Or perhaps it needs a separate section for background image and background video, maybe a radio button to activate one or the other. Having "image" at the top and then a separate section that is titled "video object" but actually lets you select audio is very confusing. Also, the fact that you can't see any video formats when you click on browsing for images makes you think you can't use video. There also should be 3 options in the "image files" dropdown, "images: jpg, bmp..." and "videos: mpeg-2, divx..." So here is how to have a video background:

1. Choose your menu and choose the context menu by right clicking
    2. Select "properties"
    3. On the properties dialog, in the "background" item, click on the ellipses button to the right of the image textbox to browse for files
    4. The default only looks for image files (jpeg, bmp, etc) Find the "image files" dropdown in the lower right and select it. Change it to "all files"
    5. Browse for a video file (you have no idea which are supported at this point because video files was not an option, so you will just have to know which ones will work).
    6. Select the file, click ok, and if the file is supported, it will load.

• NtAlex

NtAlex - 2014-09-25

Actually the preferred way is right click on video in integrated file browser and select "Assign to background".
    But you are right: the menu properties was confusing. I redesigned it in DVDStyler 2.9 beta.

Alex