Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Problem with level 2 dump

Help
pol
2005-05-10
2013-05-20
  • pol
    pol
    2005-05-10

There is no dump on saturday and sunday.
    Every night I make a level 0 dump of a partition and , at 13h00, I make a level 1 dump on a magnetic tape. Then, every 2 hours (except the night), I make a level 2 dump on a partition.

my problem is:
    Every monday morning , the level 2 dump has the size of a level 0 dump. This partition contains 10 homedirs and the only thing that changes is the mail. Is there a reason?

nb: sorry for my english ;)

• Stelian Pop
      Stelian Pop
      2005-05-11

So the level 2 dump shoud contain everything that changed since the friday level 1 dump.

You can list (with restore -t) the contents of this dump and see if something is wrong.

Keep in mind that dump backups all inodes whos ctime or mtime has changed since the last dump. If you have some daemon messing with ctime/mtime (like a virus scan for example...) on week-ends, this could explain the issue...

Stelian.

• pol
      pol
      2005-05-12

Thanks for your reply!

I will list the contents of my dump but I think it will contain all the partition... I'll do it next monday.

Is there a method to know the mtime and ctime?

Pol.

• Stelian Pop
        Stelian Pop
        2005-05-12

Just issue the 'stat' command on the files.

• pol
      pol
      2005-05-17

Before the level 2 dump I test mtime on all the partition /home: the size is smaller than a "normal" level 2 dump. I don't verify the ctime.
      Yesterday,the first level 2 dump is correct: it is not equal to the level 0 dump... There are two possibilities:
      ---> last friday, the level 1 dump on a magnetic tape wasn't done
      ---> I made my test before the level 2 dump.

Next moday i'll test ctime too...

• pol
      pol
      2005-05-19

I test the ctime and dump's size is correct I have to find the program that changes ctime...

thanks for your help!

Pol.

• pol
      pol
      2005-05-26

Hello,

I find the programm! We use a software that dumps our homedirs and changes the ctime when it makes a total backup.

Thanks for your help stelian!