Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

dump over network: slow?

Help
2005-06-25
2013-05-20
  • devrandomzero
    devrandomzero
    2005-06-25

Hi!

Recently I have very bad performances (around 1400 KB/s) over network (100base-t) with dump and restore (dump 0.4b40 (using libext2fs 1.37 of 21-Mar-2005) or  0.4b37 (using libext2fs 1.35 of 28-Feb-2004)). Any other software full the network w/o problem... I have tested various configuration (from/to RH9, Fedora, CentOS) and I'm always at ~1400KB/s. Locally  (12-15MB/s) and on tape (3-4MB/s DDS-4) no problem... but over network...  user@remote:/file.., user@remote:/dev/null, user@remote:/dev/tape, etc always... ~1400KB/s. If I start 2 dump instances at the same time to a remote server... each dump is around 1400KB/s. I have tried various blocksizes... no effect. SSH isn't the bottleneck because I have 10MB/s on 'cat /dev/zero | ssh user@remote 'cat - > /dev/null'

I use... for 0.4b40:
    export RMT='/usr/local/sbin/rmt' ;
    export RSH='/usr/bin/ssh' ;
    /usr/local/sbin/dump 0 -b 64 -f user@remote:/file.. /

for 0.4b37 (default config from rpm):
    export RMT='/sbin/rmt' ;
    export RSH='/usr/bin/ssh' ;
    /sbin/dump 0 -b 64 -f user@remote:/file..  /

Any idea?

• Stelian Pop
      Stelian Pop
      2005-06-27

What about:
          dump -0 -f - / | ssh user@remote cat - > /tmp/test ?

If dump locally works ok and ssh isn't a bottleneck then the above should go at maximum speed. Is it ?

Stelian.

• devrandomzero
        devrandomzero
        2005-06-27

Hi Stelian,

Thanks for your reply!

As expected I get ~10MB/s stable w/o any problem.

Are you able to reproduce the slow performance when using rmt over network?

Don't hesitate if I can do anything to help resolving the (my?) *problem*.

• Stelian Pop
      Stelian Pop
      2005-06-27

I did a quick testing and I get about 3 MB/s when piping into ssh, and only 1 MB/s when using rmt (over ssh).

stracing the ssh shows two things:
      * the blocksize is forced to 16 KB by ssh
      * when piping the writing is done in consecutive 16 KB writes, but when using rmt there are also smaller writes corresponding to the rmt commands.

I didn't expect those things to have such an influence on the speed... I need to look a bit closer at all this.

Anyway, I suspect the performance with a plain rsh in place of ssh should be much better...

Stelian.

• devrandomzero
        devrandomzero
        2005-06-27

You are right for rsh... with RSH="/usr/bin/rsh" I'm gettting the max speed. The weird part is that previously I was getting max speed even with SSH.  Can it be kernel related? I will try to rollback to an earlier kernel version... just in case... since I have moved from 2.4.30 to 2.4.31 at the beginning of the month...

• Stelian Pop
          Stelian Pop
          2005-06-27

I would say this is more likely caused by ssh and not by the kernel. Did you upgrade ssh (or change the prefs like crypto algorithms etc) lately ?

• devrandomzero
            devrandomzero
            2005-06-28

Old kernel doesn't affect the performance... I will try from a fresh dist installation to see what change is needed to reproduce the slowdown.

For openssh... same old version (RH9)... w/o any config change since the slowdown...
            openssh-3.5p1-11
            openssh-server-3.5p1-11
            openssh-askpass-3.5p1-11
            openssh-clients-3.5p1-11
            openssh-askpass-gnome-3.5p1-11

• Stelian Pop
              Stelian Pop
              2005-06-28

Maybe something changed on the remote side ?

• devrandomzero
      devrandomzero
      2005-10-29

Hi Stelian,

Long time no see... ;-)

Yesterday I've launched gnome-terminal to discover that if I execute dump (or my dump script) through gnome-terminal I get full speed on a remote backup using ssh... But on any /dev/tty or via SSH I'm stalled at 1.4MB/s

My Config

Server A -> Server B (with DLT 7000)

Client (MacOSX)

Are some combination and the result:

Any TTY on Server A -> dump -f server_b:/dev/... => 1.4MB
      Any TTY on Server B -> ssh user@server_a -> dump -f server_b:/dev/... => 1.4MB
      Gnome on Server A     -> gnome-terminal -> dump -f server_b:/dev/... => Full speed
      Gnome on Server B     -> gnome-terminal -> ssh user@server_a -> dump -f server_b:/dev/... => Full speed
      X11.app (MacOSX)     -> ssh user@server_a -> dump -f server_b:/dev/... => 1.4MB
      X11.app (MacOSX)     -> ssh -X user@server_a -> dump -f server_b:/dev/... => Full speed
      Terminal.app (MacOSX) or Any TTY on Server B -> ssh user@server_a -> dump -f server_b:/dev/... => 1.4MB
      Terminal.app (MacOSX) or Any TTY on Server B -> ssh -X user@server_a -> dump -f server_b:/dev/... => 1.4MB

export command returns roughly the same values in all cases. Any idea for the next step in my quest? ;-)

• Stelian Pop
        Stelian Pop
        2005-11-02

I really fail to see what gnome-terminal has to do with dump's speed ....

Stelian.