Dump get a message: Bad file descriptor

Help
2006-08-19
2013-05-20
  • Eduardo Diaz
    Eduardo Diaz
    2006-08-19

Hi to all, I am using dump to backup my home-server to other location of my house, is a window that have  shared location, I mount over cifs the shared location and make the dump in here.

My server are a Debian 3.1 and my dump version:
    dump 0.4b37 (using libext2fs 1.37 of 21-Mar-2005)

Server have a network cable to my net (and router to internet access, etc) but the conexion to my windows server is made over wireless using two wireless router "(WRT54G) in WDS mode" This runs very well and I use all day this conexión without problems.

All nigths the crontab send this command..
    nice -n 10 /sbin/dump -0 -j1 -L "Fecha `date '+%d-%b-%y'`." -M -B 1500000 -Q /datos/mntsamba/EDU_DUMP.dump.QFA -f /datos/mntsamba/EDU_DUMP.dump. /dev/hda2

In my firsts test this runs well and the backup starts without problems, but afther of some time I get.

DUMP: WARNING Label `Fecha 19-ago-06.' is larger than limit of 15 characters.
      DUMP: WARNING: Using truncated label `Fecha 19-ago-06'.
      DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Sat Aug 19 11:50:08 2006
      DUMP: Dumping /dev/hda2 (/) to /datos/mntsamba/EDU_DUMP.dump.001
      DUMP: Label: Fecha 19-ago-06
      DUMP: Writing 10 Kilobyte records
      DUMP: Compressing output at compression level 1 (bzlib)
      DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
      DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
      DUMP: estimated 10569345 blocks on 7.04 tape(s).
      DUMP: writing QFA positions to /datos/mntsamba/EDU_DUMP.dump.QFA
      DUMP: Dumping volume 1 on /datos/mntsamba/EDU_DUMP.dump.001
      DUMP: Volume 1 started with block 1 at: Sat Aug 19 11:50:52 2006
      DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
      DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
      DUMP: write error 48810 blocks into volume 1: Bad file descriptor
      DUMP: Do you want to rewrite this volume?: ("yes" or "no")

"Bad file descriptor"???? I check my ext3 /dev/hda2 and don't have any problem, and test to my mntsamba location

//monica/backup on /datos/mntsamba type cifs (rw,mand)

I can write and delete data from monica backup, some times (not allways) I get "Bad file descriptor" from dump and the backup are broken. besides, this is one automated process and can't put "yes" in "Do you want to rewrite this volume?".

The question 1:
    What is this problem? "Bad file descriptor" is it possible that the wireless link has problems?? I test transfer DVDs completed and don't have any problem... (and the speed is good 1,8 Mb/s) Using ftp.

The question 2: can I put one "auto response yes" I can find the option in anywere?

I try to find this answers in the forums and mail list but don't find any.

regards and thanks for all!!!

• Stelian Pop
      Stelian Pop
      2006-08-23

Hmm, I haven't seen anything like that before, and dump is just using standard write() syscalls...

Do a test with a regular ethernet connection and see if it changes anything.

Maybe you should also try to reproduce the problem with a simple 'dd bs=10k', normally it should fail just like dump do.

And no, there is no 'auto yes' option in dump, sorry.

Stelian.

• Eduardo Diaz
      Eduardo Diaz
      2006-10-15

Hi stelian I will try to use this parameter

-I nr errors
                    By  default, dump will ignore the first 32 read errors on the file system before asking for operator intervention. You can change this using this flag to any value. This is useful when running dump on an active filesystem where read errors simply indicate an inconsistency  between the mapping and dumping passes.

I put the value 10240 to try get more relative backup, I detect that the file backups ( the file size are some big).

After of some testing I will reply any.

regards!