I would like to take a tiny amount of your time to announce a major upgrade to the Open Repository hosted service - to be accompanied by a small fanfare (ie. me and a trumpet).
Some people have asked about the relationship between Open Repository and the DSpace code in the past, which I've attempted to answer along the way, and this release is a good example of where that relationship is heading.
Whilst the work was commenced prior to the 1.4.2 release, it has tracked a lot of the changes made to DSpace in that time, and presents almost all the significant user functionality from the forthcoming 1.5 release in one place. In doing so, it has allowed us to contribute back many fixes and improvements. So, without further ado, some things you can see (and some you can't):
* New Browse System - this release incorporates the new browse system from Richard Jones. This can be seen here:
in doing so, OR has contributed back to the forthcoming 1.5 release Oracle compatibility and improvements to the configuration. Also, we've added improved unicode and multi-lingual sorting:
and configurable columns for different indexes / sort options:
(all currently included in the 1.5 branch). Also, we have enabled Richard's cached communities and collections count:
* Multi-lingual interface - this time, respect to Claudia Juergen for the multi-lingual interface. Admittedly, we haven't completed any translations as yet, but we do have a basic proof of existence on our test repository:
* Withdrawn items browse - unfortunately, one you can't see this one, but we added this based off of Richard's browse code. Now, in the admin interface you can see a list of all withdrawn items (sortable in the way as the item browse lists above). Again, this is part of the 1.5 branch.
* Confgurable Submission - thanks to Tim Donohue this time. The most recent patch made available of this has been used, making it very close to the code that is in the 1.5 branch. Another one you won't be able to see, unfortunately, and to be honest, we haven't done that much with it yet... but we do have some additional steps, added - like a document converter based off of Tim's offline OpenOffice document conversion patch (this isn't publicly available as yet, but hopefully will be shared soon). Although taking such a recent version of the patch has meant that we've found and repaired a few bugs for the 1.5 release.
So, as I said, our new repositories represent a lot of what people can expect to achieve with the 1.5 release - and now all of that's out of the way, I'll hopefully find some time to help finish it off!
This email has been scanned by Postini.
For more information please visit http://www.postini.com