Plug-ins suggestion

Plugins
Sean McKay
2004-10-08
2013-04-26
  • Sean McKay
    Sean McKay
    2004-10-08

Hi, is there a way to get all the plug-ins in a single zip?  That would be nice to have, since there are so many good ones to get.

Thanks.

• Good point,

I have also considered this for a time, this
      would be an easement.

I can remember, when I arrived at drPython,
      I also found it not convenient, to download
      all plugins extra.

But you need someone who maintain this, and
      because plugins changes frequently, that matter is not so easy (watching every new plugin or update
      and prepare it for a compressed file).

To collect from time to time all the plugins and upload them to plugin_all.zip (?).

Of course this solution, as it is, is not perfect.
      Escpecially for new interesting people of this project,
      it would be fine, to download all at one strike.

There is in jedit for a long time (also an extra) plugin(!), to query for new plugins, and then download and update it automatic.

• Hmmmm.

I believe there is a way to run a script nightly, and produce a tar.gz archive.

If so, I could write a script to run on sourceforge, and produce a nightly snapshot of all plugins.
      (Or, drpython and all plugins, and the icon file).

perhaps drpython-all-day.month.year.tar.gz

The download plugin sounds cool too.

• Right.  So the script thing is not an option apparently.

So I've been getting ready to start on 3.6.0.

I think I will redo the plugins dialog entirely.
      One aspect of this will be a single Install Process, which I think I will do in wizard format.

Here's the kicker.  I plan on having a step where you select the plugins you want from a list, or select the plugin locally.  I'm thinking a dat file in the Plugin package on sourceforge, that is pretty much the same format as the one on the website now.

(although as a release, developers can update it when they create new plugins, and/or change the descriptions, etc).

Basically, I'll have drpython connect to the sourceforge mirror of choice, download this list, display all possible plugins, and you can select the one's you want, and drpython will download them, and install them the way you want (directly, via index).

I just need to decide whether or not to use urllib, or ftplib.

What thoughts?

• Isn't the effort to high (for you), only to download and update the plugins quicker?

A simpler solution(?): only download with urllib and ftplib
      all the (visible) plugins, (if possible)?

• Download visible plugins?  I am not sure of what you mean.

Yes coding this will be extra effort, but I think it will be worth it.  The only extra bit required is to update "drpython.plugin.list.dat" whenever you add a new plugin.  Aside from that, DrPython will read the list, and users can pick the plugins they want to download and install.  The wizard will also let you select local files instead.

• I only meant, alle the plugins, that are active.
      Not the hidden ones.

• Ah.  That will be through the dat file.
      I plan on having it as a release in the plugins package.
      drpy can then just download it, and use it to check out what plugins exist.
      (I may also have an out of date copy in each release, just so people can browse what plugins are availible as of release time).

Alternatively, users will be able to manually download the zip files, and install either:
      1.  The old fashioned way (From Py)
      2.  Directly from the Zip file.

I think I will keep the old way (just for py files (direct install)), since it is useful if you are developing a plugin.

One new thing, plugins will not be loaded on install anymore (this was problematic with sessions, or plugins that need to load at startup).

I've got most everything in place (I just need to work on the Select Plugins dialog for downloading, then test it out, then on to the rest of 3.6.0).  The install from zip works (I've tested it on SearchInFiles-1.1.9_beta.zip, it unzips everything, runs the install script, perfectly).

• Sean McKay
      Sean McKay
      2004-10-21

Thanks for all your work on this!

• :)  No prob.