Menu

Feature requests

Developers
2005-03-01
2013-04-26
  • RunLevelZero

RunLevelZero - 2005-03-01

I know you are going to work on the core but I thought I would make some requests.  I will explain the best I can.

1: Allow an option for find and complete to just work without any shortcuts.  I personally don't mind it popping up and the way you have it coded I don't think it will be as bad as it is in say.. wing ide.  Also it seems that it forgets easily.  Say you do self.no... It chooses somethling like self.notused so when I type self.nod it just goes away instead of highlighting self.nodetree.  That was a rough explanation sorry but that's the best I can do.

2:  This is tough but if you have ever used the new WingIDE you'll know what I mean.  Basically when a tab is clicked, in the lower notebook area where the prompts are, if it is not the active tab it acts like normal and selects that tab.  When it is the active tab it pops the notebook to the bottom of the tab leaving more editing room.  Basically it would be like dragging the splitter of the prompt down so that only the tab shows.    Then in the " lowered " state if the tab is clicked it brings up the notebook to the last know position.  Leaving the option to toggle the tab is still needed of course.  I hope that somewhat makes sense :).  I love this feature.

3: Again similar to WingIDE there is a choicebox or combobox that is basically your source browser.  It is under the notebook tab of the source being edited.  There is one that shows your class's and another your functions.  They are quick and easy access and I would love to get this feature.

4: On the syntax check is there any way you can just show the info on the statusbar if it passes?  Say if it passes then show that it successfully passed on the statusbar, but if it fails then it would show the output in the prompt and jump to it in the editor.

I have tried so many IDE's it's not funny and DrPython is still the best. If we could get these features or something similar would be just awesome.  Keep up the great work guys.  DrPython is the best!

• Daniel Pozmanter

This looks nifty, I'll look into it once I'm settled :)

• RunLevelZero

RunLevelZero - 2005-03-03

Awesome... good luck on the move and settling in.

• Daniel Pozmanter

Let's keep this thread going.  I am still not settled (apartment hunting, etc), but I can post from time to time.

Are there any larger features that folksthink should be implemented?  When I get back into it, I plan on going whole hog to try to improve speed wherever possible.  Any ideas?

Also, I had some more thoughts on versioning.

ReleaseNumber.ChangeSinceLastVersion.ChangelogSize

So you could get:

You would know right away, looking at 81.0.162, that only minor changes have been made, but, that 12kb of changes in the log have been made since your current release (77).

I think this is an especially nice numbering system, as it makes the version number more objective, and it provides solid information.

The only drawbacks I see are:
      Version inconsistency with plugins, unless I require they too move to the new version model.

The other drawback is waiting to do the version number when a release is made.

Thoughts?

Also, I may integrate autocompletion into the core, especially if the debugger goes in as well.

I have never gotten around to a project manager.
      Is this still a feature people want?  Would it be useful?

Would it be useful to be able to launch a new instance of drpy from drpy?  How about mozilla style find (optional)?

Is the current method of adding concole commands (via a drscript) too confusing?  Should that be its own menu?

Finally, back to speed:
      The biggest issue is creating, switching, and updating Documents.  This depends largely on the platform/toolkit being used by wxpython.

Any ideas for cutting down on the cost of these operations?

• Franz Steinhaeusler

>Let's keep this thread going. I am still not settled (apartment hunting, etc), but I can post from time to time.

Hi Dan, glad to hear from you again.

>Are there any larger features that folksthink should be implemented?
      Yes, the debugger :)

>When I get back into it, I plan on going whole hog to try to improve speed wherever possible. Any ideas?
      Option to switch off the horizontal scrollbar (?)
      More the startup time or the response and update time, (when editing)?

>I have never gotten around to a project manager.
      >Is this still a feature people want? Would it be useful?
      For me: I don't need it.

Finally, back to speed:
      The biggest issue is creating, switching, and updating Documents. This depends largely on the platform/toolkit being used by wxpython.

Any ideas for cutting down on the cost of these operations?

Maybe make an option on dynamic update of the statusbar (indentation setting tab/spaces)

• RunLevelZero

RunLevelZero - 2005-03-15

Woot! You are back.  That is some really good news.

"Also, I may integrate autocompletion into the core, especially if the debugger goes in as well."

I personally want this.

"I have never gotten around to a project manager"

Hate em.  they are annoying and create extra files.  My mind manages things pretty well :).  Now a file browser builtin would be nice ( source browser style ).  The file you are editing shows all the files in that folder, or at a minimum the .py, .pyw files.  Then a quick double click opens them up for editing.

"Would it be useful to be able to launch a new instance of drpy from drpy? How about mozilla style find (optional)? "

I don't believe I would find a use for that myself at this point in time.  The mozilla style find sounds very nice though as long as its quick and gets out of the way quickly.

"Finally, back to speed"

It seems to open nice and fast without any plugins installed and one file open.  Is there a way to load plugins once the editor window is up.  it should only take seconds if that.

• Franz Steinhaeusler

""I have never gotten around to a project manager""

"Hate em. they are annoying and create extra files."

Me too.

"Now a file browser builtin would be nice ( source browser style ). The file you are editing shows all the files in that folder, or at a minimum the .py, .pyw files. Then a quick double click opens them up for editing."

Yes, this would be nice. Although there is the fileopen,
      bookmarks and findfiles, a pane always visible
      with optionally support of the bookmarks and filter combobox would be cool.

I have the feeling (when using sessions), if you have
      a couple of files (>20), it take unproportional much time.
      Also changing sessions takes some time.
      Closing files could eventually also speeded up.

• RunLevelZero

RunLevelZero - 2005-03-15

"a pane always visible
      with optionally support of the bookmarks and filter combobox would be cool"

hmmmm.  This sounds nice and robust...

About the speed of DrPy.  I guess I should have said in the first post that I feel the speed is really very nice.  I have no problems with it myself.  I'm sure there will always be tweaks but as a user.  It feels just fine.

• DavyMitchell

DavyMitchell - 2005-03-15

My Wish List...

* Integration of Documentation generation
        * Integration of Logging features e.g. function entry, exits
        * Project Manager
        * Wizards for common apps e.g. wxPython Dialog app

Some may be better as plugins.

Thanks,
        Davy Mitchell

• Liam Clarke

Liam Clarke - 2005-10-24

*Bump*

I'd like to add a request for the ability to change the default interpreter used to run scripts and buffers, as I'm currently playing with IPython and Jython, and it would be nice to be able to just change my Dr Python preferences to suit.

PS Thanks for the great editor. I was using gVim until I found the Doc handled folding in a very simple manner. Thanks once again.