Remove MDI option

Developers
liyinghui
2004-04-16
2004-04-16
  • liyinghui
    liyinghui
    2004-04-16

I advise removing the MDI option. DrPython could be always mdi window. I think mdi window is the most application, as long as DrPython has this function, one hardly use SDI option. Fore the more, I'm fixing the window menu display's bug, and I'm tired of judging mdi or not mdi. So if I can only use mdi option, the work will be easy. And I'll remove the mdi entry in preference.

• Chris Wilson
      Chris Wilson
      2004-04-16

I suspect (but have no easy way of proving) the vast majority of users will be running DrPython in (pseudo) MDI mode, as I am. The multi-tabbed interface is certainly a lot more modern and useable.

The only real advantage I can see to SDI mode, is for users with multiple displays, where a side by side comparison of two files etc. on seperate monitors is handy. If the proposed split view plans are implemented, then SDI mode will essentially be redundant.

Assuming feedback from other users suggests that it won't be too badly missed, I'd second the call to made the interface MDI only. It would certainly make the code more streamlined, and implementing new features would be easier.

• Yeah, I run exclusively in mdi now.  I just liked the option (plus SDI is how DrScheme did it, which is what this was based on).

Removing SDI would be an option.  I would like folks to mull on it.  If there is no negative feedback, then I am willing to go ahead and do so.  I could also implement a "new window" feature that lets DrPython act more like mozilla in terms of tabs and windows.