Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

OS X question

Help
Jay Mutter
2005-07-10
2013-04-26
  • Jay Mutter
    Jay Mutter
    2005-07-10

good evening;

I Have checked the forum but haven't seen anything related to OS X Tiger.  Tiger shipped with wxpython (2.5.3) and python 2.3.5.  I have separately installed wxpython 2.6.1 and python 2.4.1 which is what I prefer to use. Dr Python in the default install uses the OS X install. Is there any "easy"way to change this without mucking something up?
    I have the version I use on my path and in terminal it works fine.

thanks

Jay Mutter

• I do not have the mac expertise to know the answer to this question.  As late and unhelpful as this is, I'd recommend checking on a mac site.

Your best bet is probably a shortcut or a small script to run drpy (applescript perhaps?)

• Byron
      Byron
      2006-08-01

Hello,

I know that this is an old posting, but I thought that I would respond in case anyone came looking.  :-)

My best suggestion is that you check out this page:
      http://www.python.org/download/mac/

This is the official Python page for Mac users and it provides easy-to-install releases that will update your Mac platform from the older versions (that comes with OS X) to the newer. 

Also, another page that you might want to check out is:
      http://pythonmac.org/packages/

This provides updated Python packages that you can use with Python, PIL (Python Image Library), etc.

Hope this helps,

Byron  :-)
      ---

• pyGandhi
      pyGandhi
      2007-09-29

Hi,

The simplest solution is to change your .bash_profile file that is located in your home directory. You need to tell your system what version it should use.

Bellow is mine (including an alias for calling drpython from everywhere).

I hope that it helps (even if it is a two years late answer ...)

Ernesto

------
      Leonardo-da-Vinci:~ ernestojfcosta$ cat .bash_profile

# Setting PATH for MacPython 2.5
      # The orginal version is saved in .bash_profile.pysave
      export PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin/:/usr/local/:${PATH}"

export DISPLAY=":0.0"

# As packages de python
      export PYTHONPATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages"

alias spe='pythonw /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_spe/SPE.py'
      alias winpdb='pythonw /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/ptyhon2.5/site-packages/_spe/plugins/wi
      npdb/winpdb.py -t'
      alias drpython='/opt/local/drpython-165/drpython.pyw'