Installation problems

Help
Flawgon
2011-10-30
2014-04-11
  • Flawgon
    Flawgon
    2011-10-30

So I installed python 2.7.1 and wxpython but when I click on drpython.pyw it looks like it's about to run something then just stops. Any suggestions?

• Will you get any infos when you start that file from a command line?

• You have a windows installation. Yes, would be very interesting, if you could deliver us a traceback.

• You have a windows installation? (This was meant  as a question)

• Stephen Bloch
    Stephen Bloch
    2014-03-28

I'm on a Mac running Mavericks, just downloaded and installed Python 2.7.6, wxPython 3.0.0.0, and drpython 3.11.3. I've edited the first line of drpython.pyw to point to /usr/local/bin/python. When I double-click drpython.pyw, it opens in the IDLE editor. When I invoke it from the command line, I get a DrPython window. I can "Open a Python interpreter" and do interactive stuff there -- defining and using variables, defining and using functions, etc. -- but the upper pane (currently labelled "Untitled 1"; I assume it's a program editor, as in DrScheme) isn't working for me.

In the editor window, I type in a line or two of Python code:
    x = 7
    x * x
    then try to "Run" it from the Program menu. Nope, "Run" is disabled. I figure maybe it wants me to "Check Syntax" first, so I try that, and get "Cannot Run Check on Untitled 1". So I figure maybe it wants me to save the file first, so I try "Save As", and nothing happens. "Save"? Nope, nothing happens. "Save a Copy..."? Nope, nothing happens.

Eventually I "quit", it offers to save the file, I say "yes", and it says there are errors, of which the relevant one seems to be
    File "/Users/bloch/Downloads/DrPython/drFileDialog.py", line 1035, in FileDialog
    return drWxFileDialog(parent, title, "", "", wildcard, wx.SAVE|wx.HIDE_READONLY|wx.OVERWRITE_PROMPT)
    AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute
    'HIDE_READONLY'

ETA: I'm at home now, on my old Mac running OS 10.6.8. Otherwise the setup is the same, and the results are basically the same, except that when I "quit", it doesn't say there are errors, it just silently puts a "drpython.err" file in my home directory. The error message is the same: 'module' object has no attribute 'HIDE_READONLY'.

Last edit: Stephen Bloch 2014-03-28
  • What, if you remove that HIDE_READONLY from drFileDialog.py?
    You can also try to use the native File-dialog: Preferences => File Dialog => Use wx Dialog