Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

can't get going

Help
Bob Barry
2004-11-13
2013-04-26
  • Bob Barry
    Bob Barry
    2004-11-13

I would like to try python, and DrPython sounded like a good tool for a newbie, so I installed python-2.3.4, wxpython-2.5.3.1, and drpython-3.6.10 on Gentoo Linux.  But I can't get going...

Running drpython.pyw or drpython.lin or drpython.py
    all give the same result:

> python /usr/local/drpython-3.6.10/drpython.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/drpython-3.6.10/drpython.py", line 45, in ?
    import wx, wx.stc
    File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx/__init__.py", line 45, in ?
    File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py", line 20, in ?
    ImportError: No module named wxc

Neither of the "__init__.py" files exist, but there is a "__init__.pyc" in each of those directories.

I recompiled wxpython with the "--disable-gtk2" switch, but drpython didn't like that any better (same traceback).

Suggestions, please?

• Are you able to get the demo working?
      It sounds like you are having some trouble compiling wxPython.  I'd STRONGLY suggest trying 2.5.2.8.

Why?

2.5.3.1:  GTK:  Segfaults when you close any dialog in a program.  The demo segfaults after clicking the splash screen.

GTK2:  Sizers have decided to change how they behave, so the style dialog looks horrible, and the styled text control is slow and cumbersome (as is the interface in general).

If you use 2.5.2.8, GTK, everything is fast and stable.

(I am working on making drpy play nice with 2.5.3.1, windows and gtk2.  However the slow factor on gtk2 is not something I can change).