.g3 files unreadable

Help
Alistair
2010-04-02
2013-05-23
  • Alistair
    Alistair
    2010-04-02

No chance of anybody still developing this is there?
    The view and download facility are of no use.  The saved .g3 file is unreadable by any application.
    Pit, everything else is fine, and this is the last refuge for message modems as Kmsgmodem, tkvoice and the rest are no longer supported.

• Alistair
    Alistair
    2010-04-07

O.K.  Looks like the modem was faulty.  Bought a new modem, fine
    It's a US Robotics external message modem, that can answer calls when the computer is off.
    Problem is, I can't upload a .gsm file to it.
    The problem with gsm files is that they can't be played on linux like a wave file, so with all the different ways you can make a gsm file, you can never hear if you've got it right.
    After two full days converting wav's to gsm's I have never ended up with anything other than a very quiet hum.
    It's hopeless!
    I thought modems could only accept rmd's so I got confused straight away

PLEASE PLEASE answer this, it's driving me mad!

• Ludovic Drolez
    Ludovic Drolez
    2010-04-08

On my linux box, I used "toast" or "sox" to make nice gsm files.

• Alistair
    Alistair
    2010-04-09

So do I.
    I can make the files easily, I can even play them back using "sudo sox greeting.gsm greeting1.wav" and moving the cursor onto the greeting1.wav icon.  That all works.
    But TKusr will not play back the gsm file and it will not upload the file to the modem.
    As asked previously, I thought modems could only work with rmd's.
    I loaded webmin, and sure enough it plays back rmd's not gsm's
    The other thing is that I have downloaded TKusr 8.2 six times from various mirrors already, only to find that it says 8.0 on startup.

• Alistair
    Alistair
    2010-04-09

Actually, bought a replacement US Robotics Message modem.  and original fault still apparent.
    It's the same type as the old one, so something is seriously wrong somewhere.

• Alistair
    Alistair
    2010-04-22

Borrowed a Windows computer.
    The proprietary windows application works perfectly. with an excellent fax output.
    However, I don't have Windows - and the wine won't look at the application.
    All I've got is tkusr version 0.80.
    No matter what site I use to download tkusr 0.82,  I always get version 0.80
    It seriously DOES NOT WORK!
    You really do need to have a look at this.
    See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9153295#post9153295.  No-one replies to that thread either.

• Ludovic Drolez
    Ludovic Drolez
    2010-04-22

Hi !
    The problem is that I don't use anymore that modem, I don't even have a PC with a serial port :-(
    Tkusr v0.82 is a Debian specific version, and nothing has been fixed since v0.80.
    You run tkusr on Ubuntu ?

• Alistair
    Alistair
    2010-04-22

I am trying to run tkusr on ubuntu.
    When uploading a .gsm file, I just get garbage out of the speaker, as I do onscreen with any faxes.
    Since Ubuntu is Debian, it is surprising that I cannot downoad 0.82 in any of the "Debian tkusr 0.82" sites.

• Alistair
    Alistair
    2010-04-22

If you had a serial port I could send you my spare message modem.

• Ludovic Drolez
    Ludovic Drolez
    2010-04-22

If you download voice messages are they ok ?

• Alistair
    Alistair
    2010-04-22

Never been able to download messages.
    Always had to dial the modem manually from another extension to pick up voice messages

• Alistair
    Alistair
    2010-04-22

To be more precise, I can download a message which is a .gsm file, but using sox message1.gsm message1.wav
    results in nothing, not a squeak. it doesn't even play as a wav file, as it is only 0.1 seconds long, which brings me back to the question in post #2
    Of course the messages also work absolutely perfectly on the borrowed windows computer.

• Alistair
    Alistair
    2011-01-06

It is now 2011 and I am no further forward
    Has ANYBODY got any ideas?

• Alistair
    Alistair
    2011-01-06

To update anyone who is interested,
    I can listen to the saved audio messages as i've made a cable to go from the message modem into the line in of my audio card.
    The G3 files are still unreadable.
    For a year now, I;ve had the weekly chore of  disconnecting  the modem and taking it down the street to to have the faxes downloaded.
    Surely someone can sort this!