Menu

Drip vs. dvd::rip

2002-01-05
2002-01-05
  • A.H.P. den Bourgondier

Or Avifile vs. Transcode, I guess. When trying to backup a DVD of 'Matrix' before it got damaged to much, Drip complained about not being able to read a certain frame and stopped caching halfway through, so I decided to give DVDrip a try. This seemed to go smoothly, but when I watched the film afterwards, the picture was terrible: almost fully black & white with some green and red coloured streaks across the screen.

Back to Drip with full logging (hoping to at least diagnose the exact problem) everything worked fine. It took about 16 hours to encode, which isn't weird considering the visual complexity of a film like Matrix. DVDrip had only taken 4.5 hours.

Now I wonder: since Drip/Avifile and dvd::rip/transcode use the same codec, shy does the first delliver so much better quality than the latter (albeit being slower to achieve that)?

• Jarl van Katwijk

Kinda hard to say, because I cant see the actual results, and dont know if you're refering to the transcode result that went wrong (colours misplaced, this is because you're trying to play a planar yuv colour as it were rgb?)

I can only speak for Drip here:
      - speed has never been an issue for 0.8.0
      - drip uses bicubic scaling, which takes around 20-25% cpu load, but produces high quality zooming

Note the speed issue is being addressed atm. The next Drip release will be a speed-up only release. Libmpeg3 replaced by libmpeg2+liba52 and internally use I420 colourspace. Also the zooming filter has been rewritting.