I have a voodoo5 5500 agp that has happily been mostly working in linux on my dual celeron-433 with 96M of ram.
Lately though, I'm getting unresolved symbols in the tdfx.o module, in both test5-4 and test5-5. I've tried both the version in the kernel (which seems to be the same as the current cvs one) and the dri cvs version, with no luck.
The symbols seem to be exported in tdfx_drv.c, so I'm a little puzzled what is going on.
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0-test5-5/misc/tdfx.o
Also, I've been having to use LD_PRELOAD="libglide3.so" to get acceleration (back in 2.4.0-test5-2, the last one I got tdfx.o to work on). Shouldn't the dri drivers either be linked to glide, or be using dlopen? Or is it, and requiring glide to be someplace other than where I have it installed?
The accelerated performance seems very uneven. Are things at a stage where benchmarks and performance reports would be useful? Texture download performance seems particularly poor, with texdown reporting ~7.3MTexels/second and ~21.9MB/sec or worse in all modes. I realize the 2nd VSA100 is disabled, but the performance problems seem less tied to fillrate and more to texture loading.
Q3demo runs fairly steadily, if a bit slowly (35fps at 640x480x32bpp, not much faster in 16bpp), but UnrealTournament has painful pauses and burps, which seem tied to texture loads. I've tried turning fractal animations off, but even so, it seems to use more textures than fit into available texture memory, even at the lowest texture quality settings. I can send more detailed benchmark results if wanted.
I should stress, I'm not complaining about the current state of the drivers, I'm happy they work at all! Thanks for your efforts!