Menu

Ctrl key fixed in 1.6.6b3

Paul Cook
2008-03-27
2013-01-02
  • Paul Cook

Paul Cook - 2008-03-27

Hi,

I just happened to finally find a repeatable case on the previous version that stopped my Ctrl key from working: I have "PC style home and end keys" selected. Then Cmd-Tab, then while still Cmd, hit Ctrl-End -- this highlights the last open application. But after releasing Cmd, the Ctrl key no longer maps correctly.

The good news is that installing 1.6.6b3 fixed this case, so I have high hopes my Ctrl should continue to work. Also, I have "Enter key acts as forward delete", and this remapping works fine on my system, unlike for a previous poster.

I have a Macbook Pro, Leopard 10.5.2.

Thanks again for great software!
    Paul

• Jaroslaw Hartman

Hi,

Unfortunately, even installation of 1.6.6b4 haven't stopped this problem... Randomly (sometimes couple times / day; the other day - not a single case) Ctrl key just stops to work.

The only solution is restarting DC with commands:

sudo kextunload -b  com.baltaks.driver.DoubleCommand
      sudo /Library/StartupItems/DoubleCommand/DoubleCommand

Thanks God this workaround is quite fast & easy - before I found the rootcause I was restarting the OS. And it was real pain :(

Best regards,
      Jarek

Model Name:    MacBook Pro
        Model Identifier:    MacBookPro3,1
        Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
        Processor Speed:    2.4 GHz
        Number Of Processors:    1
        Total Number Of Cores:    2
        L2 Cache:    4 MB
        Memory:    4 GB
        Bus Speed:    800 MHz
        Boot ROM Version:    MBP31.0070.B07
        SMC Version:    1.16f8
        Serial Number:    W87390GQX92
        Sudden Motion Sensor:
        State:    Enabled

• erikfish

erikfish - 2008-12-18

Jaroslaw:

That first command caused a kernel panic for me.

Model Name:    Mac mini
        Model Identifier:    Macmini2,1
        Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
        Processor Speed:    2 GHz
        L2 Cache:    4 MB
        Memory:    2 GB
        Bus Speed:    667 MHz
        Boot ROM Version:    MM21.009A.B00
        SMC Version:    1.19f0
        Serial Number:    YM73508GYL2

• erikfish

erikfish - 2008-12-18

Forgot to include:  OS X 10.5.6

• Jaroslaw Hartman

Well.... with 10.5.6 Double Command doesn't start for me anymore:

192-168-48-191:scripts jhartman$ sudo /Library/StartupItems/DoubleCommand/DoubleCommand start
          DoubleCommand will not load due to a problem last load

Is it only problem on my system or a general issue?

Regards,
          Jarek

• Anjan T

Anjan T - 2009-01-22

I have DoubleCommand 1.6.6b4 on Leopard 10.5.6 .

"PC Style Home and End Keys" is the only option that I have switched on.

Everytime I press "Ctrl + Home" or "Ctrl + End", my Ctrl key stops working. To get it to work again, I perform the following steps:

1. Tick the "Swap Control Key and Option Key" checkbox.
      2. Click "Activate".
      3. Press and release the Ctrl key.
      4. Untick the "Swap Control Key and Option Key" checkbox.
      5. Click "Activate".

After performing the above steps, the Ctrl key starts working again.

If the "PC Style Home and End Keys" checkbox is not ticked, then pressing "Ctrl + Home" or "Ctrl + End" does NOT disable the Ctrl key.

My config below:

Processor Name:    Intel® Core(TM)2 Duo
        Processor Speed:    2.67 GHz
        L2 Cache:    6 MB
        Memory:    4 GB
        Bus Speed:    1.33 GHz

Is there any solution to this annoying problem?

Thanks.

• Michael Baltaks

Michael Baltaks - 2009-01-22

Hi, I have put up a new beta that seems to fix this issue, can you test it for me before I announce this on the site?

http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/files/DoubleCommand-1.6.6b5.dmg

Thanks.

• Anjan T

Anjan T - 2009-01-25

I'm not being allowed to install it. It says a newer version of the software is already installed on the volume. But I only have 1.6.6b4 installed.

But, thanks for your immediate response.

Anjan

• Emile Nucho

Emile Nucho - 2009-01-26

I am probably the person who started this string, if I am mistaken. I appreciate all the suggestions for fixing the problem (which was that DoubleCommand stopped functioning on my MacBook) but the fact is that nothing worked for me.

I gave up and reformatted the the notebook and now it works agin. The mystery remains: what made my enter key stop functioning as a forward delete (and what a lack of imagination on the part of Steve Jobs' team).

Emile

• Michael Baltaks

Michael Baltaks - 2009-01-26

Ok, I'm not sure what the issue is there, I can't reproduce that problem on my machine, but here are the pieces you need to remove to get rid of DoubleCommand:

/Library/StartupItems/DoubleCommand

/Library/PreferencePanes/DoubleCommandPreferences.prefPane

/Library/Receipts/DoubleCommand-1.6.6b4.pkg

If you delete those three items, you should be able to install the package and test this version.

• Emile Nucho

Emile Nucho - 2009-01-26

I know this is a frustrating problem. I ended up re-formating the notebook because doing precisely what you suggested did not work. I searched high and low for any trace of DoubleCommand and wiped it out. Each time I tried re-installing it (unsuccessfully) I went through the same steps of rooting out any trace that may have reestablished itself.

The only thing I can think of is that some other program I have/had on this machine somehow knocked DB out of whack.

Last night, after re formatting, it was the first program I installed and it was successful. I have had this unit for over a year and DB for just about the same time with no trouble until...

Emile

• Anjan T

Anjan T - 2009-01-28

@ Michael Baltaks: Are you sure you have linked to a newer beta?

I managed to install it using Pacifist. But the problem of Ctrl key getting disabled (as I described in a previous post) still exists.

Moreover, the labels for many of the check boxes in the preference pane resemble an older version: the labels are not capitalized properly. I think that's how it was in an older version. The beta 4 has the labls capitalized properly.

Hope you can fix the problem soon.

@ Emile Nucho: Are you sure you are talking about this thread? Your problem doesn't look like the Ctrl key problem that this thread is about.

Anjan

• Emile Nucho

Emile Nucho - 2009-01-28

Hello Anjan,

You are right, I am not in the right thread. Not having done this before, when I got an answer to the poblem I described, it came with the Ctrl key issue, so I thought I would follow it and see whether my problem gets addressed. Stupid, but somehow someone saw my problem and then the answer came with this thread.

So, my problem, apparently, never got addressed. To make a long story short: I had assigned the Enter key on my notebook as the forward delete key. This was quite a while ago. It worked fine until one day it stopped functioning. Despite completely wiping out any trace of DB on the unit and re-installing (more than once), I got nowhere. I finally ended up re formatting the machine and now it works. But I still don't know why this happened.

Thanks for your question.

Emile

• Teddy G

Teddy G - 2009-02-11

I also had this problem - after hitting CTRL-home or Ctrl-end, Ctrl stops working.  Anjan T's fix worked for me.  But then yes as soon as you hit Ctrl- home or end it breaks Ctrl again.  Turning off "PC style home and end keys"  prevents Ctrl from breaking.

anybody know how to fix this issue so I can use PC style home and end keys without breaking ctrl (and obviously I would like to be able to use ctrl-home and end sometimes)?

iMac 2.8Ghz, OSX v 10.5.6, build 9G55

• Michael Baltaks

Michael Baltaks - 2009-02-11

Please try downloading version 1.6.7, currently the latest on the main site - it should fix this specific issue. http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

• Anjan T

Anjan T - 2009-02-12

Yes, 1.6.7 does fix the problem.

Thanks Michael. That's a major annoyance gone.

By the way, how would one detect the version of DoubleCommand that is currently installed? It would be nice if the version is displayed in the Preference Pane.

Thanks again.
      Anjan