Importing XSI into 3DS?

Anonymous
2002-07-15
2003-02-23

• Anonymous
    2002-07-15

I've downloaded the dotXSI plugin and noticed that it only has export capabilities. Is it possible to import an XSI file into 3Ds max?

• Softimage Co.
      Softimage Co.
      2002-07-15

Not currently.

This is certainly a common request - we would be very pleased to see the open source community rise to meet the challenge (and are willing to incent individuals to do it)

• I don't understand why they don't do it. I mean we still use their software for a part of the job. So why offer and importer but not an exporter?

• Softimage Co.
      Softimage Co.
      2002-12-25

we try to concentrate first on tools that help our customer's pipeline and the dotXSI Exporter was something most customers needed right away.

We made the source code for this exporter available through SourceForge so that the dotXSI format is better understood and more widely used. And hoped that someone would jump on-board and create an importer.

The new FTK with the high-level Semantic Layer would be a great tool to make an 3ds max importer... all these tools are free.

For the moment, if you need to brind dotXSI files into MAX, take a look at Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration.

Dominic

• Softimage Co.
      Softimage Co.
      2003-02-23

I've posted a new dotXSI Importer plugin for 3ds max 5.0.

note that this is a gift and is not supported.

go here:
      http://www.softimage.com/xsinet/

then under Import/Export/Other

cheers!
      Dominic