Support
Daimonji
2011-09-06
2013-03-22
  • Daimonji
    Daimonji
    2011-09-06

Hello,

I tried to go through the whole installation of DocMGR, but I got such error:

Error!/www/docmgr/files/data is not writable by the webserver

I saw older posts with the same error, but it didn't help: bug of PHP, permissions of this folder (at least I checked this and it should be OK).

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,
    Daimonji

• tnappi
    tnappi
    2011-09-07

When I installed this the other day, the only way I could get around this was by making a symlink from the root folder to the web folder.  I couldn't find where it was defining the path, and for some reason, the path is actually starting from root.

From the root directory, I did a
    ln -s /var/www/html www

and that solved the issue for now… I'm sure I'm missing something in my apache conf or my php ini, but it was late and I got tired of looking.   But this works.

• Daimonji
    Daimonji
    2011-09-08

Thank you for the tip, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work!

I changed only /var/www/html by the target DocMGR folder (/var/www/docmgr/), with no luck.

I don't really figure out why it doesn't work, but this issue was already reported some years ago.

Daimonji

• Poil
    Poil
    2011-09-08

Hi,

Perhaps Selinux is enabled on your system ?

• Daimonji
    Daimonji
    2011-09-09

Hello,

Even with Selinux set as disabled, it doesn't help!
    I checked /selinux/enforce and it is 0.

Thanks anyway,
    Daimonji

• tnappi
    tnappi
    2011-09-09

Try this from your root directory (and I'm assuming your web directories are standard…)

$ sudo ln -s /var/www/html www
    $ sudo chmod 777 /var/www/html/docmgr/files/data /var/www/html/docmgr/files/tmp -R

This should now show a "www" link from your root folder to /var/www/html and should also change the read/write permissions on the data and tmp directories.

• Daimonji
    Daimonji
    2011-09-09

tnappi, I did exactly as you asked, except that my absolute path to docMgr is not /var/www/html/docmgr but /var/www/docmgr. So I replaced www/html by www. The www link in the root folder links to /var/www. No luck!

Daimonji.

• tnappi
    tnappi
    2011-09-09

Sorry then… I wish I could help more.  I think there's an issue somewhere in either the httpd.conf, php.ini files or maybe a hard-coded reference somewhere in the code.  I just haven't found it yet (and I'm not that versed in those files - just learning by tinkering).  I'll be looking over the weekend to see if I can find anything in the code or maybe it's some sort of path statement in the httpd.conf thats overriding something else… who knows.  I'm kind of surprised in my case that the app is looking for a directory truly off the "root" and not off the httpd root.

• Daimonji
    Daimonji
    2011-09-12

Thank you for your help tnappi.

A small progress… If I add a comment on line 88 of file install/classes/files.php:
    //if (!is_writable($path)) die("Error!".$path." is not writable by the webserver");
    Then I can complete the install.

I also noticed on the docmgr/files/data/ folder that a 'test' file was created but it is the only one. I figure out that this folder is indeed writeable, despite the warning. Am I wrong?

Unfortunately, when I go to start page of DocMgr, it stays as blank.

Any feedback is welcome.

Greetings,
    Daimonji

• Daimonji
    Daimonji
    2011-09-13

Hello,

I did a fresh new install on a different folder. It worked. I only had to create the docmgr database manually before and to keep the following line commented.

Now I am stuck to the login because the pair admin/admin doesn't seem to work. Any idea?

Daimonji.

• Daimonji
    Daimonji
    2011-09-26

Hello,

I forced the password change in the database and it worked. DocMgr is installed and fonctionnal.

However the upload feature doesn't seem to work.

I had a look at the Apache error log and the trace on $_FILES was empty. Any idea?

Daimonji.

• Daimonji
    Daimonji
    2011-09-27

Hello (again),

Switching from 1.2 to 1.2.1 solved my problem. Too bad that the so-called latest version was 1.2 and not 1.2.1. Please update your website accordingly.

Thank you,
    Daimonji.

• Eric Lawman
    Eric Lawman
    2011-09-27

Thanks for pointing that out.  I could have sworn I set that when I uploaded it.  Anyways, it's set now…

eric

• manuel santos
    manuel santos
    2012-05-16

Try with chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/docmgr/ instead of chmod

• Hello,

I have  the same problem, but my system is Windows XP, i'm change some permis but i can't solve it.

Warning: mkdir(): No such file or directory in D:\xampp\htdocs\docmgr\install\classes\files.php on line 85
    Error!/www/docmgr/files/data is not writable by the webserver

• Vernon
    Vernon
    2012-08-19

Looks like your trying to run the server on Windows. I don't think you'll get very far with that. The server is designed to run under a linux or similar system. You can then use a web browser in Windows to access it. You can check this page for help.
    http://www.docmgr.org/documentation/