Minimize to Systray possible?

Thomas
2013-02-21
2014-01-31
  • Thomas
    Thomas
    2013-02-21

I would appreciate if DocFetcher would offer a minimize-to-Systray option (instead to taskbar).

Even worse: During indexation process only the index window can minimized....NOT to Taskbar but only to tiny window.
    The "mian" window itself cannot be minimized during (long) indexation process.
    This is user unfriendly.

Can the "normal" minimization be implemented in the next release?

Last edit: Thomas 2013-02-21
  • Nam-Quang Tran
    Nam-Quang Tran
    2013-02-21

Except on the operating system Ubuntu, it is quite possible to minimize DocFetcher to the system tray, even during indexing. Here's how:

• When you're not indexing, there's an X-shaped button in the top right corner of the program. See the little picture attached to this post. That's the minimize-to-systemtray button.
    • During indexing, the same button is also shown in the top right corner of the indexing dialog. If you want to minimize DocFetcher to the system tray during indexing, first click on that minimize-to-systemtray button, then on the other minimize-to-systemtray button on the main user interface.

Note that in the preferences (which can be opened through the cogwheels button on the left of the main minimize-to-systemtray button), there are also two options related to system tray minimization:

• Hide program in System Tray after opening files
    • When closing program window, hide in System Tray instead of exiting

Lastly, if you're not using Ubuntu and there are no such minimize-to-systemtray buttons, make sure you're using a recent version of DocFetcher (version 1.1.6 is the latest).

Last edit: Nam-Quang Tran 2013-02-21
    Attachments
  • matu shukov
    matu shukov
    2013-10-30

Thanks for the programm, very good work!
    I am using docfetcher in Ubuntu 12.04LTS.

1. Why does minimize to systray not work in Ubuntu? The window is minimized and I can "re-open" it with the Hotkey, but no Icon shows up in the systray.

2. Is there an Option to start docfetcher minimized? I want to start it automaticaly when loggin in, without having to minimize the Window every time.

• Nam-Quang Tran
    Nam-Quang Tran
    2013-10-30

@ matu shukov:

Why does minimize to systray not work in Ubuntu? The window is minimized and I can "re-open" it with the Hotkey, but no Icon shows up in the systray.

Minimize-to-systray was deliberately disabled on Ubuntu because the recent Ubuntu versions have those new indicator applets instead of the classic system tray, and last time I checked indicator applets weren't well supported on the Java platform, on which DocFetcher runs.

Is there an Option to start docfetcher minimized? I want to start it automaticaly when loggin in, without having to minimize the Window every time.

No, there's currently no such option, but I will consider it for a future release.

• matu shukov
    matu shukov
    2013-10-31

adding the notificatio-area-applet to the panel under gnome-classic solves the problem in Ubuntu 12.04: The DocFetcher-Icon appears there

• matu shukov
    matu shukov
    2014-01-31

Is there an Option to start docfetcher minimized? I want to start it automaticaly when loggin in, without having to minimize the Window every time.

No, there's currently no such option, but I will consider it for a future release.

Hello,
    are there any news about implementig this option? We are trying to use docfetcher in a live-system with a persistent Home-Directory. Starting Docfetcher when mountig the persistent home directory works, but then the user has to minimize the Window manually, which is not a good solution.

If there is no solution for this, we maybe could solve the problem by only starting the daemon when mounting the persistent home directory. Could you please tell us, to which location the daemon saves its data, because as working on a live system, we would have to redirect them into the persistent home directory. Otherwise they would be lost after a restart, when docfetcher has not been started before.
    Thanks for your help.

• Nam-Quang Tran
    Nam-Quang Tran
    2014-01-31

Could you please tell us, to which location the daemon saves its data

The daemon writes the paths of modified directories into the file DocFetcher\indexes\.indexes.txt. There's no other daemon-related data.