Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

#265 $verbatim-line-by-line$ slow in v1.77 vs v1.73

other
closed
nobody
DSSSL (85)
5
2005-06-11
2002-07-15
Joseph Koshy
No

FreeBSD 4-STABLE, running Jade v1.2.1, SP 1.3.4.

Building documentation with Docbook-DSSSL-Modular
v1.77 has slowed down dramatically (by a factor
of 20x) compared to version 1.73 of these stylesheets.

Discussion

  • Joseph Koshy
    Joseph Koshy
    2002-08-22

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=88882

    This problem seems to be being triggered when
    %indent-program-lines% or %indent-screen-lines% is not #f.

    In other words, function $verbatim-line-by-line$ has
    slowed down dramatically.

     
  • Adam Di Carlo
    Adam Di Carlo
    2003-02-07

    • summary: Jade slow with v1.77 --> $verbatim-line-by-line$ slow in v1.77 vs v1.73
     
  • Adam Di Carlo
    Adam Di Carlo
    2003-06-16

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=18375

    More info on the problem, from an email I got about debian
    bug 156241:

    I have since figured out something that causes the symptom;
    it leads to
    changing documents' contents, as opposed to fixing DSSSL code.

    The "extreme slowness" occurs when I set up <literallayout>
    environments in
    documents where the material being made "literal" is
    directly presented in the
    document.

    If I replace this with inclusions pulled in from outside
    files, there's not
    the same slowness:

    <literallayout><literal remap="tt"><inlinegraphic
    fileref="inclusion.txt"
    format="linespecific"></literal></literallayout>

    I'm guessing that when Jade/DSSSL are processing text files,
    they can
    efficiently look at the data on a line-by-line basis, but
    when the material is
    in the local document, the processor has to do something
    vastly less
    efficient, perhaps walking through the entire document to
    find the CDATA. But
    that's just a guess...

    At any rate, I moved all of my "literals" out to files that
    get drawn in as
    inlinegraphic elements and things sped up spectacularly.

     
    • milestone: 112684 --> other
    • status: open --> closed
     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=178336

    Please provide a test document that shows the problem.