Green tint on calibrated laptop screen

Anonymous
2013-11-10
2013-11-14

• Anonymous
    2013-11-10

I just calibrated the screen on my Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E780 laptop. LED non gloss.

Comparing to previous prints a.o., the colors on screen look nearly correct, although with a slight green tint. But definately a huge improvement over the standard ever so bright blue/magenta color profile.

I´m using a Spyder 2 on a Win7 64bit OS.

Is there anything I can do to remove the green tint, or is it just the way that my screen handles colors correct?

Explained in plain english please, I´m a newbie at this :)

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Christian Nygaard

• Florian Hoech
    Florian Hoech
    2013-11-10

Hi, the Spyder 2 pe-dates most of the developments in terms of backlight technology and panel types, so ideally it would need some sort of correction for LED backlighting. Missing that, you could try adjusting the whitepoint so that it looks more neutral/less green on your display. As you are on a laptop, you can't do this via hardware controls, so you have to experiment a bit with different whitepoint settings during calibration.

One way you could go about this is like follows:

• In a graphics application, for this purpose preferably not colormanaged (e.g. MS Paint), create a new document and set a size so that it roughly encompasses the Spyder 2 when it sits on the screen.
    • As you want to reduce green, fill the whole document area with a color that moves the white in the direction you want, e.g. starting from RGB 255 255 255, reduce the green channel and/or blue channel (reducing green alone moves the white towards magenta, green and blue together towards red, blue alone towards yellow).

Then put the Spyder 2 over the document area, choose "whitepoint: chromaticity coordinates" in dispcalGUI and click "measure" next to it. Then do a calibration.

Last edit: Florian Hoech 2013-11-10

• Anonymous
      2013-11-10

Hi Florian

Great! Will try that. Otherwise I will stay with this setup.

How much would you suggest to reduce the green and blue respectively?

Will the lighting in the room I´m calibrating in affect the result (daylight, flourescent etc.)?

Great Work, and great program!

• Florian Hoech
        Florian Hoech
        2013-11-10

I'd start with really small steps, say 1-2 units and see how that goes.

• Anonymous
    2013-11-10

When trying to measure the chromaticity coordinatse, the screen says "setting up instrument" for 10-15 secs., and then i get a screen saying "...aborted.". Even though the instrument is plugged in and doing the calibrating measures as it should.

What is wrong here?

• Florian Hoech
    Florian Hoech
    2013-11-14

Ok, I forgot the Spyder 2 hasn't ambient measurement capability, so you have to do it in another way. Instead of using the "measure" button next to the whitepoint control, select "just calibrate" (make sure "interactive display adjustment" is enabled). Position the measurement window so that you can easily move the instrument to the filled area in the graphics app. Then click "start measurement". After it has measured the three colors red, green and blue, move the instrument over to the filled area. You'll see the current x, y coordinates reported. Note them down, abort the measurement and enter the values in the x, y fields in the main window. Now you can do a normal calibration (I'd probably go for low quality first because you may have to repeat the check/adjust/calibrate process a few times until you arrive at a pleasant setting).