Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Settings are always applied to the primary monitor instead of the secondary

Anonymous
2013-11-09
2013-11-14

• Anonymous
    2013-11-09

Hi,
    I have a Mac Pro w/ OS X 10.8.4, nVidia Quadro FX4800 and two Dell U2410. Running the latest dispcalGUI 1.5.3.1 and Argyll 1.6.1.

Profiling the primary monitor works fine; I've noticed two problems relating to the secondary display:

1. I'm unable to apply an existing setting (ICC profile) to the secondary display. I choose the secondary under "Display device", yet whatever I choose under "Settings" is applied to the first display. I have to manually activate the profile from the System Preferences, and of course dispcal will overwrite the choice when run.

2. I ran a profile verification of a just-generated profile on the secondary display. (Rec709, verify.ti1). The results were a max dE of 8.3 and avg 3.12.
      I then unplugged the primary monitor and ran the same verification again with the same exact settings, and got avg dE 0.94 and max 2.43 (which is what I expected).

As said in the topic, my suspicion is that dispcalGUI tries to verify against the primary profile, despite choosing the secondary profile. I'd appreciate any input.

• Anonymous
    2013-11-14

Thanks! Hopefully tomorrow I'll finally have time to test it out.

• Anonymous
    2013-11-14

Much better, profiles/settings and verifications are now applied to the correct display. Thanks!

One note:
    Let's say we have displays A and B, for which I have created corresponding profile settings A and B. Currently when switching the "Display Device" from A to B, the "Settings" drop-down menu stays on A. Wouldn't it be better to have the Settings automatically switch to B, to represent the currently loaded settings for display B? (On the same note, I'd move the Display choice above the Settings choice - settings are most often specific to the display, and not the other way around).

• Florian Hoech
    Florian Hoech
    2013-11-14

Let's say we have displays A and B, for which I have created corresponding profile settings A and B. Currently when switching the "Display Device" from A to B, the "Settings" drop-down menu stays on A. Wouldn't it be better to have the Settings automatically switch to B, to represent the currently loaded settings for display B?

The problem is, when the displays are identical models there may actually not be enough information available to unambiguously determine the correct display. In that case, the display will not be automatically switched.

(On the same note, I'd move the Display choice above the Settings choice - settings are most often specific to the display, and not the other way around).

If you select the setting and (ideally if the manufacturer was not sloppy and did provide enough information to distinguish the correct display) then the correct display is selected automatically. Doing it the other way around would require to store different lists for different displays, which then has the problem that it may not be possible to distinguish them at all.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments