Menu

How to make the encoder generate an I frame?

2006-12-07
2013-06-04
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi, all!

Is it possible to tell the Dirac encoder to generate an I frame?

When a decoding client needs to connect to an encoding server and play live
    video it is useful to tell the encoder to generate an I frame, so that the client
    could display the video as fast as possible (without waiting for an I frame that
    would be generated sometime in the future at encoder's will).

I assume that Dirac decoder can decode starting from an I frame only.
    Is my assumption wrong?

Thanks

Rafael

• Thomas Davies

Thomas Davies - 2006-12-11

No you can't do that, though I agree that could be a useful feature for the encoder API to have. I'll add it to the list. Do you know what the format of the request would be - do streaming protocols support this?

The decoder doesn't yet support random access at an I frame, although the bitstream does. It's not a difficult thing to do but it's not reached the top of the priority list yet :-) We're in the process of refactoring the decoder to have two layers, a parsing layer to handle things like this and a decoding layer, so it'll fall out as a consequence of a much bigger task.

cheers

Thomas

• Nobody/Anonymous

From my experience with streaming protocols (RTP) when a player connects to a UDP stream
      it takes some time until the video is rendered on the screen. Sometimes the player shows
      random blocks of video, but the whole picture is rendered only upon receive of an I frame.
      In applications where 'live video' means 'close to real-time' this behavior is unacceptable.

Thus I am not using standard streaming protocols.

In my implementation, when a client connects to an encoding server and requests video stream
      the encoder is asked to generate an I frame. The encoder generates an I frame as soon as possible.
      The client waits for an I frame to start rendering.

However, the overall time that passes from the request to first seen frame on the monitor is greatly
      reduced.

Of course, the encoder API must have support for such a request.

I wanted to add support for more video codecs in my system but both Theora and Dirac do not support
      advising the encoder to generate an I frame.

I will wait until the API supports it.

Thanks for your reply.

Best Regards

Rafael