Compiling Building 4.5 sources

2008-12-05
2013-05-01
  • Miguel Goyena
    Miguel Goyena
    2008-12-05

Hi:

Like 6 months ago, I've started using DimDim Source code from the last version.

I'm very happy that you have released the new 4.5 code, but always the same thing, lot's of code, lot's of ant and makefile. But no intructions to build DimDim.

How can I start with it????, or I ve to do it myself??? Some type of how to???

Thanks

• dimdim_diwakar
      dimdim_diwakar
      2008-12-05

Hi,

Here are the steps that will help you in compiling and building:
           1.  Download the source code
           2.  Unzip it.
           3.  go to v4.1Free/v4.1/Product/Build/Scripts/SF_RPM_Script/README.txt and open it.
           4.  Follow the instruction specified in this readme to compile the source code.

Regards,
      Diwakar

• Miguel Goyena
      Miguel Goyena
      2008-12-06

Hi,

First of all thanks for the explanation. But there were some errors in the sources, perhaps you want to solve them yourself another way:

1.- The file  /ConsoleII/src/com/dimdim/conference/ui/envcheck/envcheck.gwt.xml have file name not exact for Unix¡/Linux environments, the correct one is
      /ConsoleII/src/com/dimdim/conference/ui/envcheck/EnvCheck.gwt.xml (Case Sensitive)

2.- The tar ant task doesn't sopport more than 100 file name length, so I've changed to <tar tarfile="../../Distributionv4.0/dimdim-4.5.tar" basedir="../../ConferenceServer_Template/dimdim-4.5/" longfile="gnu"/>

3.- The package that you build is for RedHat distro, but I use Ubuntu, do you have another way to create it for Ubuntu????. If not, perhaps the only thing I have to do is to inflate the tar.gz created in /usr/local and follow the install instructions of 3.5 release????, or there are another instructions for installation of 4.5???

4.- I'm a Java Developer, but I don't usually use c++, and Reflector is made using this language. The ant script give me an output like this:

========================================================
           [exec] setting environment...
           [exec] compiling fcgi app...
           [exec] En el archivo incluído de src/dimdim/common/api.h:4,
           [exec]                  from src/main.cpp:1:
           [exec] src/dimdim/common/Includes.h:43:18: error: zlib.h: No existe el fichero ó directorio
           [exec] En el archivo incluído de src/dimdim/screen/../rfb/ScreenDecoder.h:5,
           [exec]                  from src/dimdim/screen/../rfb/api.h:7,
           [exec]                  from src/dimdim/screen/Screen.h:3,
           [exec]                  from src/dimdim/screen/api.h:5,
           [exec]                  from src/main.cpp:2:
           [exec] src/dimdim/screen/../rfb/TightDecoder.h:10:21: error: jpeglib.h: No existe el fichero ó directorio
           [exec] In file included from src/dimdim/screen/../rfb/api.h:6,
           [exec] src/dimdim/screen/../rfb/ScreenBuffer.h:65: error: múltiples parámetros nombrados ‘b_shift’
           [exec] src/dimdim/screen/../rfb/ScreenBuffer.h:65: error: múltiples parámetros nombrados ‘b_shift’
           [exec] In file included from src/dimdim/screen/../rfb/ScreenDecoder.h:5,
           [exec]                  from src/dimdim/screen/../rfb/api.h:7,
      ========================================================================= AND SO ON....

I think they are not well compiling, is there a way to atach you my ant output file, if every thing is well done??????????????

5.- I'm trying to put a Developer Environment at home, and is very useful to synchronize the changes made it with CVS repository, but in the sources are all the CVS Entries but I don't have a cvs login and password for looking in the CVS repository. I don't want privilegies for committing, only for seeing the repository. Is it possible????

Thanks a lot....Regards and sorry for my poor english I'm form Spain

• [exec] src/dimdim/common/Includes.h:43:18: error: zlib.h: No existe el fichero ó directorio
        and the jpeglib.h error you get is because

you don't have libjpeg-devel and zlib-devel installed.

use yum or apt-get to install the libjpeg and zlib development library.

• Miguel Goyena
      Miguel Goyena
      2008-12-12

Well, no response, but I'm trying to continue with the installation of the tar.gz created with source code.

Well I inflate the tar.gz in /usr/local/dimdim. I don't use the rpm created for CentOS but I've tried to emulate the rpm installation using an script.

but the script for starting dimdim startDimDim give me lots of errors.

1.-

Starting dimdim Conference Server: the script doesn't start, gives:
      /usr/local/dimdim-4.5/ConferenceServer/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/bin/wrapper: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
      Why this??? it's very strange

2.-

Starting Presentation manager...Also the script doesn't start, but I think i've solved changing
      `pwd`/spawn-fcgi -a 127.0.0.1 -p 40002 -f /usr/local/dimdim/Mediaserver/mods/interface.py>/dev/null
      by
      `pwd`/spawn-fcgi -a 127.0.0.1 -p 40002 -- /usr/local/dimdim/Mediaserver/mods/interface.py>/dev/null

If not it says that interface.py doesn't exist, strange too.

3.-

Starting Reflector.... I think it is started but gives another error:

spawn-fcgi.c.186: child spawned successfully: PID: 15895
      /usr/local/dimdim/DTP3/Reflector/dimdimReflector: 1: Syntax error: ")" unexpected

4.-

nginx OK

5.-

red5 OK

6.-

Cobmanager  gives an error starting
      Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/usr/local/dimdim/CobrowsingManager/cob/cob.py", line 4, in <module>
          from toolkit import osconfig
        File "/usr/local/dimdim-4.5/CobrowsingManager/cob/toolkit/osconfig.py", line 5, in <module>
          from cherrypy.process import plugins
      ImportError: No module named process

Thanks, perhaps one day i can install dimdim from sources....

• Dimdim,

4.5 has the same problem. No instructions to build on windows/linux (although some sparse doc for building reflector). This is the same issue we have had in the last few releases.

Why cant we have half page description on how to build the product so that we all can start adding some modules to this?

How can this be a open source product when one cant start using the source to develop, enhance the core product? What problem does it solve for open source community. If you dont want to make this as open source, why call it opensource? Just a gimmick to attract customers? VCs?

Come on guys, this is not hard problem to fix. We can fix bugs and issues, add stuff, but there are so many modules in this product, dont expect developers to figure out how to build.

I tried 3 versions of this. But none worked. I really want to start building somethings around this.

Hope my rant will reach some deaf ears!

Thanks
      --Prasanna

• Miguel Goyena
      Miguel Goyena
      2008-12-16

Hi Prasanna:

I can Build DimDim from sources, but I've some problems installing the product and building reflector.

I'm not prepare for building Reflector, i am prepared to build Java applications but C I'm not very good in C application.

We can help each other with the doubts we have.
      If you want to contact me use this e-mail: miguel.goyena@gmail.com

Ciau

• Hi,
          basically I am a C#.net  programmer and  so  i am not good at java  evnvirement .  so  i need  help to  build   dimdim 4.5 from  on window  platform.  
         i already  have installed ant,  java SDK,  NSIS, VC7.1   etc.
      And   only  problem  i   have is ,  how to   prepare  build.xml to   build that.

please   help me.

• tin htun aung
      tin htun aung
      2009-01-07

Hello,

I'm having problem building Dimdim from 4.5 sources.

I'm not a java guy but I know how to use ant and apache a bit.

So, what I'm doing is.. I go to v4.1\WebApps\ and go to sub folders and try to build with 'ant'.

Am I on the right track?

Please someone.. anyone..

Regards,

ko_aung

• Josh Blank
      Josh Blank
      2009-01-07

We need some help building a package to install 4.5 on the latest Ubuntu server. Please let me know if this is something you can help with.

• tin htun aung
        tin htun aung
        2009-01-15

Hello,

I started to build Dimdim 4.5 from sources but couldn't get it done. I'm no expert and there's no help or instruction available. I could only change some UI with gwt.

Now, I'm trying to install the RPM package on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Desktop. Still facing problems.
        Have you tried that before?

I've done the installation. However, need to change some commands and configurations I think.

Please let me know if you can install.

Cheers,
        ko_aung

• Gary Benner
      Gary Benner
      2009-01-21

May I suggest to the Dimdim team,  that the easiest way to get the open source community on board is to use a technqiue they already use for the actual product - that is to create a VMware virtual machine configured with Eclipse and it's plugins, and of course the latest Dimdim source code.

Trying to support every man and his mate to configure their own particular flavour of OS etc, will create such an overhead, and frustration as I've already seen in these forums.

As a developer I now create a VM for each development environment, and run that for the duration of the time I'm working on the project. It's very neat and clean, and keeps things running fast. And I can run the config on several machines with little effort.

Then it does not matter if the developer is working with Windows, Ubuntu, Centos, RH, Debian etc, there will be a consistent environment they can work and share experience with.

Also more documentation, or links to it if it already exists, on the software architecture, code standards for the project, and roadmaps so that individual efforts do not conflict with the main development within Dimdim.

I'd also like to see a modular architecture somewhat similar to the Moodle project ( which Dimdim already interfaces to using a Moodle "Block" or module). This makes it very easy to make the product extensible without having to hack the main code, and re-integrate the changes every time there is a version upgrade.

regards

Gary

• Gary-

Thanks for the suggestions.  I appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on how we can better interact with the open source community.

I know the engineering team watches these forums when they can, but I forwarded your suggestions over to make sure they would see them.

Thanks!

-k
        Kevin Micalizzi, Community Manager
        Dimdim Web Conferencing / www.dimdim.com
        e: kevin@dimdim.com / twitter: @meetdimdim
        On Facebook: http://cli.gs/dimdimFB

• Gary Benner
      Gary Benner
      2009-01-21

HI Kevin,

Nice to know you guys are listening. And also I support your move to open source the community version of the product. Still a brave move these days.

regards

Gary

• Gary Benner
      Gary Benner
      2009-01-21

HI Kevin,

Nice to know you guys are listening. And also I support your move to open source the community version of the product. Still a brave move these days.

regards

Gary

2009-06-05

Hello,

I needed some instructions on how to compile and install Dimdim 4.5 on "Windows Vista". The README is not proving helpful. I am a newbie, so maybe I'm missing some obvious facts. Please let me know how to go about it.
      Also, what are the optimum server hardware/software requirements?

• I have Centos OS Linux 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5 #1 SMP x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux so I try to build my own rpm. I follow the instructions given:
      "Here are the steps that will help you in compiling and building:
      1. Download the source code (done)
      2. Unzip it. (done)
      3. go to v4.1Free/v4.1/Product/Build/Scripts/SF_RPM_Script/README.txt and open it. (done)
      4. Follow the instruction specified in this readme to compile the source code. (done)"

When ant finished the message was "built rpm ok" and infact I found the rpm package in/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/x86_64... but when I give rpm -i dimdim-4.5-1.x86_64.rpm I recived the following message:

Checking preinstall checks
      Error, OS check failed
      Exit Status...
      error: %pre(dimdim-4.5-1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
      error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping dimdim-4.5-1

Please someone can give me help.
      thanks regards Stefano

• brian yang
      brian yang
      2009-06-23

stefano mariani, I met almost same problem with you.
      the only difference is environment is 32bit.

[root@localhost i386]# cat /proc/version
      Linux version 2.6.18-128.el5 (mockbuild@builder16.centos.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44)) #1 SMP Wed Jan 21 10:44:23 EST 2009

Even I use the following command to ignore, it does not work too.

[root@localhost i386]# rpm --ignoreos -ivh dimdim-4.5-1.i386.rpm
      Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
      Checking preinstall checks
      Error, OS check failed
      Exit Status...
      error: %pre(dimdim-4.5-1.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
      error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping dimdim-4.5-1

• brian yang
      brian yang
      2009-06-23

sigh...know why. the .spec file make very strict check...OS version, Flup verison, etc
      edit .spec file and rebuild the project to bypass this issue...