Restrict access to for Presenters

nebulink
2006-09-13
2013-05-01
  • nebulink
    nebulink
    2006-09-13

Is there a way to restrict access as to who can be a Presenter.

Btw, great product for be in Alpha. Never seen such a well pollished Alpha product.

• DD Ganguly
      DD Ganguly
      2006-09-14

Hi,

If you use the "Schedule Meeting" option then you
      can refer to the following message for restrciting access:
      http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3912946

Today, there isn't a restriction if you use the "Meet Now" option.

We will be adding User Management in future (using LDAP) and will keep your requirement in mind as we decide about the features in the next release.

Could you please post how you would like to see this access restriction work?

Regards,
      ddg

• nebulink
      nebulink
      2006-09-14

I would like to have a username and password in order to create a conference.

As it sits now, if someone knew we had this on our server they could start sucking up our bandwidth with conferences and we would not have a way to block them.  If this was in IIS I could probably setup some basic file security to do the trick, however, I am not familiar with Tomcat.

• DD Ganguly
      DD Ganguly
      2006-09-14

Hi,

Thanks for the post. We will discuss this at our
      next Product Direction Meeting on Monday.

Do you need user registration process to be integrated with a billing system?

Do you need to give existing users (users registered for some other services), whose credentials exist in a directory (LDAP or ActiveDirectory) access to dimdim or is it OK to require a fresh registration?

Questions, questions :)

Regards,
      ddg

• Hi - I am very interested in the DimDim product for a community we are building. I would like to see that we are able to use our existing user database to integrate with DimDim. We do not want to have our 100's of users signup again to use the conference server.

Our existing user database is in MS SQL. We would also like to be able to do API calls to the DimDim product to let our existing application innitiate conferences, and even use our existing calendar to schedule conferences.

Also - would love for this to be skinnable, and private brandable. (I think this is already in scope)

Btw - I'm was very excited and happy to see this product. Looking forward to great things :)

• DD Ganguly
        DD Ganguly
        2006-09-14

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words. I wish you the very best in building the community.

By the end of next week 22 September (My sister-in-law and niece's birthday) we will be posting an API document on sf.net. The document will be for discussion only. The actual API will be implemented in October / November.

We do have a draft presentation but the details need be to filled in.

I can dimdim this draft version of API presentatioin with you. Please drop me an e-mail if you are interested in letting us know how this API needs to change to meet the needs of your community.

Regards,
        ddg
        dd@dimdim.com

• nebulink
      nebulink
      2006-09-14

At this time we are looking to use this product for our Sales Team. They would use it to show our software products. So, basic security features would be fine for our needs.

Basically, only allow authorized presenters to create conferences. We also have a MSSQL database that we could integrate if needed. however, for our needs I think storing the user information in a simple xml file would work fine.

• GregV_nz
      GregV_nz
      2006-09-15

I would also like to see LDAP implemented to control who can launch presentations.  We use Novell eDirectory, and it would help if we could limit this ability to certain users (either by way of a Group, or an OU)

Great work so far on the release

• Anasazi
      Anasazi
      2007-10-25

Really basic question. I must have missed something on the main dimdim pages because I am eager to use dimdim, but, I do not understand how to establish a user name and password (that is, how do I register?). I've searched "dimdim registration" and "register" on this forum, but have only this thread.

• Quastion related to this thread:
      is it possible to schedule the meeting from another application.
      I mean, maybe there is some web service xml allowing to schedule the meeting?

Thank you.