Limit ability to start a conference

Tim
2006-10-16
2013-05-01
  • Tim
    Tim
    2006-10-16

There needs to be a way to prevent unauthorized people from starting a conference.  A username/password combination would work fine.  The initial page should allow a person to join a conference or login to a secondary page where they can then initiate a conference.

I don't fancy the idea of anyone who stumbles across my DimDim page being able to start/schedule a conference.

But then again, you probably already have something like this planned for a future release.

• dimdim_sundar
      dimdim_sundar
      2006-11-03

Yes Tim,

In the latest build this feature is available through a file which contains a list of allowed presenters email addresses. This file is located at [$conference server]/tomcat.. /webapps/dimdim/dimdimPresenters.txt
      right now only admin@dimdim.com is a allowed presenter. Emails should be added one in each line in the file.

To enable this feature please edit $conference Server]\Tomcat 5.5\webapps\dimdim\WEB-INF\classes\resources\DimDimConference.properties and change the entry dimdim.authenticationPolicy=NO_CHECK to dimdim.authenticationPolicy=CHECK_EMAIL

Regards,
      ~sundar

• Tim
      Tim
      2006-11-07

And I think this is a good place to start, however, it will not take much of a leap of logic to figure out what a valid email address is and be able to start an unauthorized conference.

I still would like to see a username/password combination to be able to start a conference.

Also, when a conference ends, an attendee is presented with the screen that allows them to schedule or start a conference.  I think when a conference ends, attendees should be presented with a thank you screen with no ability to start a conference. Perhaps the Join a Conference could be displayed in case they need to go directly to another meeting.

Just my $.02.

Thanks

• Dimdim
        Dimdim
        2006-11-08

Hello Tim,

I agree with you on both the points. The username/password is being worked on.

also regarding the thanks/feedback page after the meeting is over, is also a great idea for which i have opened  a feature request in Beta release. you can track it from here: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1592454&group_id=176809&atid=878729

Thanks for spending time in guiding us.

Regards,
        ~sundar