Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Port Tunneling

golfinguy
2007-03-29
2013-05-01
  • golfinguy
    golfinguy
    2007-03-29

One thing that is going to hurt dimdim in the corporate/enterprise environment is the port requirements for firewalls.  Almost all enterprises will not allow port 1935 connections - and with other conferencing solutions out there that do not require firewall changes, they are going to be very unlikely to open the port up just for this one.

Even if it takes a lot of work, I think it would be worth it to tunnel the 1935 traffic within the same port as the server daemon (80, or other).  Do not underestimate the resistance to corporations making firewall changes, especially with other solutions out there that don't require any.

• dimdim_uday
      dimdim_uday
      2007-03-30

Hello Golfinguy,
      Thank you for the interest and the detailed feedback.
      The current version of Dimdim has a rtmp tunnel (rtmpt) solution which allows the rtmp (1935) traffic to be sent over port 80.
      Please let me know if you are facing any problems getting rtmpt to work so I can assist you.
      Thanks,
      Uday
      uday(at)dimdim.com

• Thomas FERRE
        Thomas FERRE
        2008-05-21

Hi

It seems that the port 1935 is tunneled to the port 8088.

How can I tunnel the port 1935 to the port 80 ?

Thanks

• golfinguy
      golfinguy
      2007-03-31

The current alpha version?  Is it in the documentation?  Please direct me to any instructions.

Thanks.

• golfinguy
      golfinguy
      2007-04-13

Can I get a little direction on this (tunneling rtmp via same port as web service)?  I tried email but have heard nothing abou this.

• dimdim_uday
        dimdim_uday
        2007-04-14

Hi Golfinguy

Sorry for missing the follow-up.

The current pack has the RTMPT support inbuilt - you do not need to make any modifications to use it.
        You can try out the following test:-

1) Block access to the 1935 port on the Dimdim server using a firewall - Windows Firewall on Windows or a suitable firewall (ipchains/ipfw) on Linux.

2) Start a meeting and check if audio works.

3) Expected Result - it should work without any extra configuration

• Hi Thomas,

We are working on tunneling port 8088 to port 80 for 3.5 Eagle release. We will keep you posted on the updates.

Regards,
      -Rajesh
      rajesh@dimdim.com