Can only access server inside firewall

Zach Cox
2006-10-19
2013-05-01
  • Zach Cox
    Zach Cox
    2006-10-19

First off, let me say that DimDim is sweet!  You guys have created something really great here, especially open sourcing it.  I like it much better than Webex.

I have a home network behind a Linksys WRT54G wireless router (on cable modem).  I installed DimDim alpha on an Ubuntu 6.06 server with local IP address 192.168.1.105 and port 9090.  I put these parameters in server.xml as per instructions.

I registered my router's IP address with dyndns.com and got a dynamic url (let's call it xxx.selfip.com).  So I put xxx.selfip.com and port 9090 into DimDimConference.properties as per instructions.  Also I setup my router to forward TCP traffic on port 9090 to 192.168.1.105.

I have two other Windows XP machines inside this network, and I can successfully login to DimDim at http://xxx.selfip.com:9090, both to host a conference and join a conference (btw, please let Firefox host conferences soon!)

It seems though that machines outside my home network cannot get to http://xxx.selfip.com:9090.  I work from home & had a coworker at our office try it, and he got an error message that said the page cannot be displayed

I also have apache on the Ubuntu server (port 80) and machines outside my home network *can* successfully see pages at http://xxx.selfip.com served by apache.

Any ideas why DimDim is not accessible outside my network?  I can provide any other information as needed to diagnose.

• Zach,

Thanks for using Dimdim and your encouraging words.

We have Dimdim running on similar set ups except for using dyndns.com. We will try to replicate this scenario.

Meanwhile I would suggest you to verify the setting once again. Also check if this is something related to firewall settings.

Did you face similar issue with your other servers.

Regards
      Rohit

• prakash.khot
      prakash.khot
      2006-10-20

Zach

In case you have not already tried it; could you please try the following

Have your co-worker telnet into this machine as follows

telnet xxx.selfip.com 9090

Does it go through or does it say connection timed out?

Please let me know.

Regards,
      Prakash

• Zach Cox
        Zach Cox
        2006-10-20

Prakash - I had my coworker try to telnet, here's the error message he got:

Could not open connection to the host, on port 9090: Connect failed

When I try the telnet command from a machine inside the network (that can connect to DimDim) it says "Connecting to xxx.selfip.com..." then that disappears and I get a blank command line.

Thanks,
        Zach

• Clarence
      Clarence
      2006-10-24

Hi,

I am having firewall issues too.  I have to turn off the firewalls on both my XP machine (where Dimdim is installed) and my Win 2000 machine.  I have tried to open ports, etc but I can't get Dimdim past the firewalls.  It works great if I turn off both firewalls.  When I run Dimdim, I would expect the firewalls to see it and prompt me to allow it to run.  However, in my case, the firewalls just block the traffic and do not prompt me to open the ports, etc.  I have opened the ports manually but I must be missing something.

Thanks,
      Clarence