Outside/inside connectivity

2007-04-05
2013-05-01
  • Hi, all.

I've got version 1.6 working on a CentOS 3.8 box which lives in our DMZ (not the server I really want dimdim working on, but ...).  To reach dimdim from inside, I use the local address 192.168.x.x.  The external address of the box is 67.x.x.x.  I can only access the dimdim server using the internal address.  I've specified the external address in dimdim.properties, as I believe that it's used as part of the link emailed to invitees.  When I try to start a meeting, dimdim tries to connect me via the external address, so I never get into the meeting.  What do I need to do to make this work?  Btw, I've DNATed the dimdim server in our firewall.

Thanks.

Dimitri

• Hi Dimitri,

Thanks for using Dimdim. The following are the updates for your queries:

In order to access Dimdim from external address you need to have a domain. Through that you can host the server and the Dimdim can be accessed from across the internet. Please do let me know if you have any more queries.

Regards,
      -Rajesh

• Rajesh,

I do have a domain.  This server has a DNS A record, my firewall is configured to allow ports 80, 8080, and 1935 to this server, and a test page can be accessed from the outside.  But, my outside testers report that they get "Page cannot be displayed" when they respond to the emailed link.

alfred_e_neuman

• Hi alfred,

Thanks for the updates. Are you able to telnet to the Dimdim server's port number from outside? say for example
                #telnet 67.x.x.x 8080 from outside, where 67.x.x.x is dimdim server and 8080 is the port in which the dimdim server is listening to.

Also, Could you please provide us the access to your machine. If so please do mail me at rajesh(@)dimdim.com?

Regards,
      -Rajesh

• Hi alfred,

Any updates on this?

Regards,
      -Rajesh

• Hi, Rajesh.

Apologies for the delay, but I wanted to tweak and test as much as possible before reporting back.

As to inside/outside connectivity, I think I've that fixed.  I've only contacted 2 outside testers so far - one of them was able to connect successfully, the other was not.  On my end, I had to add a firewall rule or two.  I suspect that it's a firewall issue for the tester who couldn't connect, as well.  I have one more tester to contact before I deem this a complete success, but I think I'm in reasonably good shape here.

Regards,

alfred_e_neuman

• Hi alfred,

Great. Thanks for the updates. What was the problem related to firewall which got solved?

Regards,
      -Rajesh

• As this box is accessable from the Internet for specific purposes, only certain ports were forwarded and SNat'ed.  It dawned on me that I had to forward/SNAT port 8080 (and, additionally, port 8443).  On the server that I originally wanted to use for dimdim (problem there also solved; see "One more "Won't start: post""), that wasn't a problem, since these ports are already provisioned.  I simply didn't think of it right away.

alfred_e_neuman