Menu

Installation Issues

2006-09-14
2013-05-01
  • anthony kelly

anthony kelly - 2006-09-14

Hi

When I install dimdim dimdim_100_alpha_091006.exe I get to the install stage and receive:

"The setup is about to be interrupted for the following reason : the JRE setup has been abnormally interrupted."

When I OK it the installation stop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Env=:
    Windows XP SP2 in vmware server
    j2se 1.4.2
    Antivirus present but disabled

• Saurav Mohapatra (dimdim)

Hi,

thanks for giving dimdim alpha a spin :) could i get a couple of data points from you regarding your setup

a) are you able to browse out to http://java.sun.com from your vm??

b) are you able to install a JRE using the bootstrap / web install version of the JRE installer from Sun/Java site??

That being said.. most probably the install failed because the JRE install could not go through. We are currently bundling the bootstrap / web install version of the JRE installer. We plan to provide future packs with the offline version of the JRE pack as well.

For the time being i think you might be able to proceed on with the installation by installing the JRE or JDK prior to installing the dimdim alpha server.(1.5 or above/the latest 1.5.x is
      your best bet!)

Please do let me know of any updates / further issues you have via this forum or at saurav.mohapatra AT dimdim DOT com.

regards
      mohaps

• anthony kelly

anthony kelly - 2006-09-14

Hi

Thanks for that.

I have now installed jre-1_5_0_08-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe on my virtual machine and the installation went through.  However the application throws a lot of errors and I was unable to start a conference.  I could "meet now" but couldn't share the desktop or an application, or even connect from another computer to the meeting.

Iknow this is only an alpha release so I think I will leave it for a bit and try again.  The app looks fantastic so I am eager to have another go.  What's the release plan do you know?  when should I try again?

Incidentally, I tried the install on another machine and it seemed to work fine but I did not get the publisher installed.

Thanks

Anthony

Thanks

[quote]However the application throws a lot of errors and I was unable to start a conference.[/quote]
      Hi Anthony,

Could you send me the log file from the conference server/tomcat 5.5/logs/wrapper.log?
      my email address is in my previous post.

[quote]
      I could "meet now" but couldn't share the desktop or an application, or even connect from another computer to the meeting.
      [/quote]

What is the url you entered on the server installer app url screen? can you ping your vm machine host name from an outside box?

[quote]
      Incidentally, I tried the install on another machine and it seemed to work fine but I did not get the publisher installed.
      [/quote]

What was the configuration of the second machine? could you give me some more details about the publisher not getting installed? were you trying to start a meeting from IE and the publisher won't install??

are you using IE6 or IE7??

regards
      Saurav

• anthony kelly

anthony kelly - 2006-09-16

Hello Saurav

Sorry, I have given you a bum steer.  I should read the messages I was getting.  When I did I quickly realised that my dodgy network and dyn dns ip were the problem and some hosts file entries have fixed it all.  It seems to work well and I am very impressed so far. 

A question though, I have tested so far inside my home network and am now trying to test from outside.  I have a dyn dns ip at home and can access my web server fine this way.  I have specified dimdim to talk on port 8080 and forwarded this on my router to the dimdim server but I get no response from outside home (I am rdp'ing my work pc and then browsing back to my dimdim server).  Do I need to forward any additional ports or is 8080 sufficient.

Thanks in advance (keep up the good work).

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Make sure that the url you enter in the Installer screen (this is for the dynadns thing) is the "public" url.. one that your attendees/presenters shall eventually use..

For example:

Suppose my home computer name is "zaphod" and I have gotten the dyna dns name "magrethea.dynadns.org" and forwarded 8080 to "zaphod"

then when I install on "zaphod" I should use the url http://magrethea.dynadns.org:8080 and not zaphod:8080

you do not need to open any other ports... just 8080/TCP

hope this helps