Eagle on Ubuntu 7.10

2008-05-21
2013-05-01
  • I've recently installed Eagle on Ubuntu 7.10 using the tarball from Sourceforge.  I did the install using the conventional Ubuntu packages for Java, Lighttpd, etc. and have kept careful notes towards an Ubuntu 7.10/Eagle Howto.  I'll be more than glad to publish these at Howtoforge or elsewhere when I can get everything working, but I'm having trouble.

For example, I can't get the screenshare to work.  This isn't a client issue as far as I can tell.  I do computing for a college, so I've been able to try from all kinds of desktop configurations.  Besides, I have error messages in /usr/local/dimdim/nginx/logs/error.log that suggest this is a server issue.  The error message I get in the meeting says something about can't connect to server.  This is from the log file:

[crit] 7527#0: *13 connect() to unix:/var/run/dimdim-screenshare-fcgi-00.socket failed (2: No such file or directory) while connecting to upstream, client: 127.0.0.1, server: localhost, request: "POST /screenshare/test/f24e1038ad343f316391602e/pub/open/0 HTTP/1.0", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/dimdim-screenshare-fcgi-00.socket:", host: "10.1.0.246

If I understand correctly, DimDim uses nginx web server and fastcgi to create the screen share.  This log entry suggests that something is missing or perhaps that rights are not properly assigned.  I've been through the permissions listed in the installation guide twice, and I think I have them right.

I'm not a programmer and don't pretent to understand sockets well, but basically the problem seems to be that the server cannot create a socket for some reason.

Any ideas?

• Hi,

Thanks for your interest towards Dimdim.

Had you tried running Dimdim server as root user? nginx and screenshare(Reflector) server needs to be run with root privilages. Could you please try starting the Dimdim server as a root user and let us know if you are facing the same issue.

Regards,
      -Rajesh
      rajesh@dimdim.com

• Hi,

Any updates?

Regards,
      -Rajesh
      rajesh@dimdim.com

• Rajesh,

Thanks so much for your reply.  I believe I am running Dimdim as root.  Here is the output when I start Dimdim:

root@conference:/usr/local/dimdim# startDimdim
      Starting Dimdim Components
              Starting Dimdim Conference Server
                      Started Dimdim Conference server
              Starting Dimdim Media Server
                      Starting Lighttpd
                      Starting Media Server interface
                      Started Dimdim Media Server
              Starting Dimdim Streaming Server
                      Started Dimdim Streaming Server
              Starting Dimdim Reflector
      reflector_start.sh: 3: source: not found
      reflector_start.sh: 4: source: not found
      reflector_start.sh: 5: source: not found
      reflector_start.sh: 6: source: not found
      reflector_start.sh: 7: source: not found
      reflector_start.sh: 8: source: not found
      reflector_start.sh: 9: source: not found
      reflector_start.sh: 10: source: not found
      reflector_start.sh: 11: source: not found
      reflector_start.sh: 12: source: not found
      reflector_start.sh: 13: source: not found
      reflector_start.sh: 18: source: not found
                      Starting nginx
                      Started Dimdim Reflector
      All Dimdim Components Started

Thanks again for your help.  I'm very serious about doing a good Howto for Eagle/Ubuntu, and if I can get this working, I will definitely publish one.

Dave

• Hi,

Thanks for the updates. could you please let me know the outputs for the following:

1. ps -aef | grep nginx
      2. ps -aef | grep dimdimReflector
      3. ps -aef | grep wrapper
      4. ps -aef | grep lighttpd
      5. ps -aef | grep python

Were you able to start meeting? Can you please let me know if you are able to upload ppt / share desktop / whiteboard?

Regards,
      -Rajesh
      rajesh@dimdim.com

• Hi,

Between had you tried running the dimdimStart in sudo mode?

Regards,
      -Rajesh
      rajesh@dimdim.com

• Rajesh,

I am able to start a meeting, and I am able to connect to the meeting and join it.  The whiteboard works and so does the chat, but not much else does.

1.  I can't share the desktop.  I get a server connection error.
      2.  I can't import Powerpoint.  I'll have to check the error.
      3.  I can't get video or audio.  When I run the test, I can see the volume level following my voice while I am speaking, but there is no video at all, and when the test tries to playback the audio, there is nothing.  My audio and video work fine in other applications.  Also, when I try to change the any of the settings for audio and video, they are not saved.

Here are the outputs of the processes.

root@conference:/usr/local/dimdim# ps -aef | grep nginx
      root     11385  3886  0 16:15 pts/0    00:00:00 grep nginx
      root     13129     1  0 13:04 ?        00:00:00 nginx: master process /usr/local/dimdim/nginx/sbin/nginx
      root     13132 13129  0 13:04 ?        00:00:00 nginx: worker process          
      root     13133 13129  0 13:04 ?        00:00:00 nginx: worker process          
      root     13134 13129  0 13:04 ?        00:00:00 nginx: worker process          
      root     13138 13129  0 13:04 ?        00:00:00 nginx: worker process          
      root     13139 13129  0 13:04 ?        00:00:00 nginx: worker process   

root@conference:/usr/local/dimdim#  ps -aef | grep dimdimReflector
      root     11507  3886  0 16:16 pts/0    00:00:00 grep dimdimReflector

root@conference:/usr/local/dimdim# ps -aef | grep wrapper
      root     11628  3886  0 16:17 pts/0    00:00:00 grep wrapper
      root     13083     1  0 13:04 ?        00:00:13 /usr/local/dimdim/ConferenceServer/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/bin/wrapper /usr/local/dimdim/ConferenceServer/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/bin/../conf/wrapper.conf wrapper.syslog.ident=DimDim wrapper.pidfile=/usr/local/dimdim/ConferenceServer/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/bin/./DimDim.pid wrapper.daemonize=TRUE
      root     13085 13083  0 13:04 ?        00:00:43 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03/jre/bin/java -Dcatalina.home=.. -Dcatalina.base=.. -Djava.endorsed.dirs=../common/endorsed -Djava.io.tmpdir=../temp -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -Djava.library.path=../common/lib -classpath ../common/lib/wrapper.jar:../bin/bootstrap.jar:../bin/tomcat-juli.jar:../common/lib/wrappertest.jar -Dwrapper.key=YzIhBEtLFOMWVSiH -Dwrapper.port=32000 -Dwrapper.jvm.port.min=31000 -Dwrapper.jvm.port.max=31999 -Dwrapper.pid=13083 -Dwrapper.version=3.2.1 -Dwrapper.native_library=wrapper -Dwrapper.service=TRUE -Dwrapper.cpu.timeout=10 -Dwrapper.jvmid=1 org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperStartStopApp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap 1 start org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap true 1 stop

root@conference:/usr/local/dimdim#  ps -aef | grep lighttpd
      root     11750  3886  0 16:17 pts/0    00:00:00 grep lighttpd

root@conference:/usr/local/dimdim# ps -aef | grep python
      root     11852  3886  0 16:18 pts/0    00:00:00 grep python

In reply to your other post, I am running everything in sudo -s.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

• Hi Dave,

Thanks for the updates. Could you please send me the following to rajesh@dimdim.com:

1. wrapper.log located under /usr/local/dimdim/ConferenceServer/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/logs
      2. red5.out located under /usr/local/dimdim/red5
      3. access.log, error.log and lighttpd.log located under /usr/local/dimdim/Mediaserver/www/logs

Regards,
      -Rajesh
      rajesh@dimdim.com

• Hi, I have de same problem in Ubuntu/Gutsy 7.10. Here is the log

root@localhost:/home/root# startDimdim

Starting Dimdim Components
                Starting Dimdim Conference Server
                        Started Dimdim Conference server
                Starting Dimdim Media Server
                        Starting Lighttpd
                        Starting Media Server interface
        sh: zdaemon: not found
                        Started Dimdim Media Server
                Starting Dimdim Streaming Server
                        Started Dimdim Streaming Server
                Starting Dimdim Reflector
        reflector_start.sh: 3: source: not found
        reflector_start.sh: 4: source: not found
        reflector_start.sh: 5: source: not found
        reflector_start.sh: 6: source: not found
        reflector_start.sh: 7: source: not found
        reflector_start.sh: 8: source: not found
        reflector_start.sh: 9: source: not found
        reflector_start.sh: 10: source: not found
        reflector_start.sh: 11: source: not found
        reflector_start.sh: 12: source: not found
        reflector_start.sh: 13: source: not found
        reflector_start.sh: 18: source: not found
                        Starting nginx
        /usr/local/dimdim/nginx/sbin/nginx: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
                        Started Dimdim Reflector
        All Dimdim Components Started

I need Help,

Thanks a lot,

• /usr/local/dimdim/nginx/sbin/nginx: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.0: cannot open

This problem can be fixed by making a symbolic link to the version of libpcre.so.0 on your system.  I have the syntax on another computer and will post this evening.

The other stuff I'm still working on.

• I installed dimdim 3.5beta on a Ubuntu Hardy

For the libpcre.so.0 problem, I just add a sym link:
      ln -s /usr/lib/libpcre.so.0 /usr/lib/libpcre.so.3

• Hi Geoffroy,

Could you please brief me the issues that you are facing? Also, can you drop me a mail with the wrapper.log available in /usr/local/dimdim/ConferenceServer../logs/ to rajesh@dimdim.com.

Regards,
      -Rajesh
      rajesh@dimdim.com

• Wolfy
      Wolfy
      2008-07-24

Hello,

I manage to install Dimdim on ubuntu.

I have created a script who download and install dimdim.

You can have it a this address :

http://www.stealthisblog.fr/2008/07/24/dimdim-script/

• Hi Wolfy,

Thanks for sharing the script/readme. We will add this in the next release. Please let us know if you are facing with any issues.

Regards,
      -Rajesh
      rajesh@dimdim.com

• Looking at your error message, it looks like the script you are running requires bash instead of dash which is the default sh on all ubuntu releases since dapper.

So just reconfigure your dist to take bash as default: ln -fs /bin/bash /bin/sh or change the first line of your script to call bash instead of just sh

#!/bin/bash

Hope that helps and fix your problem

regards

Pascal

• any one tried this on ubuntu 8.10. Just curious to know?

are there any performance differences using centos as opposed to ubuntu.