Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Powerpoint upload not working

2008-04-03
2013-05-01
  • Ashish Talati
    Ashish Talati
    2008-04-03

I have installed dimdim server on Windows Vista OS.  I have everything running except upload feature ( powerpoint, pdf or PPT 2007 ).   Upon trying to upload PPT, it fails with ( ppt id generation failed:No response from server).  Looking further into it seems that it is looking for generateDocID2 under serviceInterface.py ( DMS ), and it is not defined in that file.  Did I got the correct install?

Any further help!

Thanks

• Bharat Varma
      Bharat Varma
      2008-04-03

Hi,

In the mods/ directory where you found serviceInterface.py, you should also see another file called interface.py. Can you e-mail both the files that you have to either bharat@dimdim.com or to support@dimdim.com ?

It would help us narrow down the issue.

Thank you.

Bharat Varma

• Ashish Talati
      Ashish Talati
      2008-04-03

Bharat -

I have mailed both files to your emailID.

Thanks

• Rene
      Rene
      2008-05-25

I am installing DimDim on Fedora Core 8, in the Amazon EC2 cloud. I get the same message for both Powerpoint and PDF uploads. At first I thought maybe this was what is processed by OpenOffice.  Your documentation does not indicate what part of OpenOffice is needed during the install. On Linux, there are a lot of parts of OO.  I installed all of them, 187 RPM packages, and that did not solve the problem.  Thus, it is not something missing from OO.  Otherwise, I do not know where to look next.  I will try and check file and directory permissions to make sure the PPT and PTF files have a place to go, and for the conversion to take place. At the same time, the test video and audio did not work, it seemed to record, but nothing played back. This may suggest a file write problem on the server for all three, video, PDF and PPT is failing for me. I will be checking this out while I dig through these forums looking for clues.

Otherwise, I am at a loss as to how to solve this.  If you find a solution please let me know.  Also, a suggestion, more robust error reporting would help.  For example, if it were possible to turn on verbose logging, so I could see what happens at each step, I could isolate problems. Without verbose logging, all I get is an error message "failure" at the end, with problems trying to find out what went wrong.

Thank you

Rene

• Hi Renne,

Thanks for the providing us the feedback. Could you please let me know the following details:
      1. Version of the Dimdim release you have installed with?
      2. ls -al /usr/bin/soffice.bin
      3. ls -al /usr/bin/soffice
      4. ps -aef | grep python
      5. ps -aef | grep soffice.bin

Regards,
      -Rajesh
      rajesh@dimdim.com

• Hi,

Please provide me the outputs for the above details after you start Dimdim.

Regards,
      -Rajesh
      rajesh@dimdim.com

• billy
      billy
      2008-05-29

Hi Rajesh,

I also got the above problems.
      Besides, I can't share the desktop on windows xp clients, too.

I go to http://192.168.10.254/DimdimAdminConsole.html and got the following status.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Checking Dimdim Conference Server Status
              Dimdim Conference server is running
      Checking Dimdim Media Server Status
              Dimdim Media Server is not running
      Checking Dimdim Streaming Server Status
              Streaming server is running
      Checking Dimdim Reflector Status
              Dimdim reflector is not running

All Dimdim Components Status : Failure
      Some or All of the Dimdim Components are not running. Please stop all components and start again
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) My Server OS: CentOS 4.6 (glibc 2.3.4)
         DimDim Ver: 3.5 (tarball version)

2) /usr/bin/soffice -> /usr/lib/ooo-2.4/program/soffice

3) /usr/bin/soffice.bin -> /usr/lib/ooo-2.4/program/soffice.bin

4) root  15027  4314  0  07:28  tty1  00:00:00  grep python

5) root  17957  4314  0  07:30  tty1  00:00:00  grep soffice.bin

I really got no ideas on Dimdim reflector. Thanks for your kindly help.

Regards,
      Billy Sin

• Hi Billy Sin,

Regarding Dimdim Media Server,

can you try running the command,

to check the status of the Dimdim Media server
      zdaemon -p "python /usr/local/dimdim/Mediaserver/mods/interface.py" status

if its not running, start with the following command,
      zdaemon -p "python /usr/local/dimdim/Mediaserver/mods/interface.py" start

Regarding Dimdim Reflector,

As mentioned in readme of Dimdim native install, you need a glibc version of 2.5 for dimdim Reflector

Snippet of readme:

a) Version Required: v2.5

b) Check if you have Libc Installed:

Please check if see the below line to make sure you have libc v2.5 installed.

libc.so.6 -> libc-2.5.so

Please let me know if this solves your problem.

Regards,
      -Rajesh
      rajesh@dimdim.com

• billy
      billy
      2008-06-01

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for your kindly help.
      I have a total success platform of Dimdim. XD

According to your reminder and the readme files. I have changed the OS to CentOS 5.1 i386 ver. (w/ glibc 2.5.3) with 3.5 dimdim tarball version.

I found the zdaemon was not stable, sometimes can't start correctly and need the manual start. Besides, everything run smootly without any errors.

May I know the version of Dimdim at http://www.dimdim.com/ ?

Besides, I also want to help to translate the language into Chinese_zh_TW.
      Please let me know are there any things I can help?

Many thanks for your helpful advice.

Regards,
      Billy Sin

• Hi Billy Sin,

Thanks for the feedback. Based on the feedback from the community, we are making some changes in the way Dimdim Media server is started. We will keep you posted of the updates.

Could you please drop be a mail to rajesh@dimdim.com. I will provide you the resource bundle for english language.

Regards,
      -Rajesh
      rajesh@dimdim.com