Installation Troubles

Rich K.
2007-01-22
2013-05-01
  • Rich K.
    Rich K.
    2007-01-22

I finally broke down and purchased a virtual dedicated server (testing for a small business I do web design for). I've tried installing Dimdim, and thought I did everything correctly, but it will not run. When I start the program, it runs for about 15seconds, and then stops. When I take a look at wrapper.log, here is what I get:

STATUS | wrapper  | 2007/01/21 22:00:24 | Launching a JVM...
    INFO   | jvm 5    | 2007/01/21 22:00:24 | Error occurred during initialization of VM
    INFO   | jvm 5    | 2007/01/21 22:00:24 | Could not reserve enough space for object heap
    INFO   | jvm 5    | 2007/01/21 22:00:24 | Could not create the Java virtual machine.
    ERROR  | wrapper  | 2007/01/21 22:00:24 | JVM exited while loading the application.
    FATAL  | wrapper  | 2007/01/21 22:00:24 | There were 5 failed launches in a row, each lasting less than 300 seconds.  Giving up.

any ideas? It's been awhile since I've played around in a linux environment.
    Thanks,
    -Rich

• Rich K.
      Rich K.
      2007-01-23

I think is has something to do with the java -Xms and -Xmx values. I've tried playing around with them but still get the same errors.

• Rich,

Thanks for using Dimdim. This issue typically comes when there is not enough RAM available for the application. We typically recommend 256 MB RAM. In case you are using VM Image then please allocate 256MB RAM to the image.

Please let us know in case you still face further issues.

Regards
      Rohit

• Rich K.
      Rich K.
      2007-01-23

Okay, I contacted my rep at godaddy. Here is what he said

"You are guaranteed a min. of 256 MB and 1Gig bursted. You should definitely be fine. We can always build you a different server with up to 512 MB guaranteed on our vds."

I think the problem is that when Java starts up, it sees that the server is running 2Gb so it tries to utilize all of it. Because I have only 256Mb dedicated to my virtual server, and java is trying to run on 2Gb, I get a heap load error. So the problem is not with the amount of memory I have but with how Java views the memory on this server. Theoretically, this problem will occure on all virtual servers where the memory is partitioned. There should be a work-around for this.

Some more info
      When I type in the command 'Java' I get the error
      When I explicitly tell java how much memory to utilize by typing 'Java -Xms16m -Xmx32m' it works fine.
      The problem is that I have to type this in every time I use Java. This becomes a problem when I am running Dimdim which  (i believe) calls java from a script. I would have to go in and edit it in every location in every script. Are there any Java and Unix gurus out there that would know how to set a global variable or create a startup script that could fix this? I tried setting an alias as a workaround (alias java='java -Xms16m -Xmx32m'), but that did not work.
      Thanks in advance. If I can get this working, I would like to create a tutorial for setting up Dimdim on VDS'
      -Rich

• Rich K.
      Rich K.
      2007-01-24

I'm making headway
      I've got the server running. I just need to find out how to access it.
      Here is what I did to get it to work

I explicitly set the java options memory heap allocation. It probably needs to be done on most if not all virtual dedicated servers.

_JAVA_OPTIONS="-Xms128m -Xmx256m"
            export _JAVA_OPTIONS

Then I started Dimdim.
      I hope this helps others who may be having this problem
      -Rich

• Rich K.
      Rich K.
      2007-01-24

Well, I just had my first run of the program. It looks great!
      I'm a 4th year IT student. Let me know if there is any testing etc. I can assist with.
      Just out of curiosity, is there another planned release in the near future?
      Thanks
      -Rich

• dimdim_sundar
        dimdim_sundar
        2007-01-24

Thanks Rich for your patience in trying out Dimdim and your kind words.
        Yes, we are planning a  Beta release with a completely new User Interface and new features like two-way audio. Please contact me at sundar (@) dimdim.com for sneak peek at the Beta.

Regards,
        ~sundar
        sundar (@) dimdim.com

• David Kypuros
      David Kypuros
      2007-02-12

How exactly did you set these options:

export _JAVA_OPTIONS

Could you give the command lines?

Like the instructions from dimdim.com>>>

dimdim@elvis>cd /usr/local/dimdim
          dimdim@elvis>vi dimdim.properties

Thanks

David

• David Kypuros
      David Kypuros
      2007-02-12

Update: I'm guessing Rich K is recommending the instructions be updated.

2.0 Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Verification

to:

dimdim@elvis>vi .bashrc

JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06
                   export JAVA_HOME
                   export _JAVA_OPTIONS
                   PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
                   export PATH

This didn't work for me. I'm going the dedicate more RAM route as suggested to my VM image.

My errors:
      DimDim Conference Server is not running.
      [root@as dimdim]# ./dimdim start

Starting DimDim Conference Server...
      [root@as dimdim]# ./dimdim status

tr: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory
      uname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory
      tr: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory
      /bin/ps: error while loading shared libraries: libproc-3.2.3.so: failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory
      grep: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.0: failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory
      Removed stale pid file: /usr/local/dimdim/ConferenceServer/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/bin/./DimDim.pid
      DimDim Conference Server is not running.