Cycling high CPU usage even w/ no activity

Help
Keith
2009-11-13
2013-05-01
  • Keith
    Keith
    2009-11-13

I have 4.5 installed virtually on CentOS 5. It operates correctly but when it is not being used there is some background activity that is utilizing far to many CPU cycles for my taste. When idol, the CPU monitor spikes to 75% usage for 2-4 seconds then falls to 0% for 1-2 seconds, then back up again. It does this eternally. Does anyone know what is running and if I can alter this behavior without consequence. {I could use the cycles elsewhere}. Thanks for any input!

• Keith
    Keith
    2009-11-30

I have narrowed down the culprit process to 'reflector_watch'. Every second it kicks in with about 75% CPU usage for 1-2 seconds. Does anyone know if this process can be reigned in?

• I'm experimenting with just not starting any of the reflector services.  I've commented them out of StartDimdim.sh.  So far I can't see any impact, but I'm sure it must have broken something…right?

• Keith
    Keith
    2009-11-30

I'm a DimDim noob so I can't speak to the importance of any particular service but 'reflector_watch' sounds important ; )  ….so I will look for someone to ditto mhylkema to verify the results before I pull it out. I don't want to inadvertently end up with a crippled/disabled system of my own doing. 

• I'm running a second instance as backup and a third instance as a test bed.  Ain't VM's great :)

• Keith
    Keith
    2009-12-01

Did some testing, without 'reflector_watch' activated, screen sharing is disabled. :(  . Back to the drawing board.