Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Password Protect Create Account Section?

Help
bennor3814
2007-02-06
2013-05-01
  • bennor3814
    bennor3814
    2007-02-06

Is it possible to password protect access to the setup conference link/area?

The concept is to prevent access to the setup conference link/area unless the user enters a password. 

• Hi,

Currently password protected access is not available. We are working on it and it would be part of our upcoming Beta Release.

Regards
      Rohit

• cybereatl
      cybereatl
      2007-03-22

You can create a section on your website linked with a data base for users resticted access before enter dimdim meeting center!!!

Good luck!

• dimdim_uday
      dimdim_uday
      2007-03-23

Hello bennor3814.
      Thank you for using dimdim.
      As Rohit has already pointed out we do not have a password protected access.
      However there is a basic authentication check in the product which allows you to specify  restricted presenter email-ids who have the privilege of starting conferences.
      To use this feature, you need to do the following:-

1) Edit the dimdim.properties file to change the following:-
      dimdim.authenticationPolicy=NO_CHECK
      to
      dimdim.authenticationPolicy=CHECK_EMAIL

(default location - C:\Program Files\Dimdim\Conference Server\Tomcat 5.5\webapps\dimdim\WEB-INF\classes\resources)

2) The file containing authorized email ids is specified in the dimdim.properties file as:-

##    File cotainning the list of emails authorized to present conferences.
      ##
      dimdim.presenterEmailsFile=dimdimPresenters.txt
      You can leave this as default.

3) Save the dimdim.properties file. Open the dimdimPresenters.txt file
      The default location of this file is C:\Program Files\Dimdim\Conference Server\Tomcat 5.5\webapps\dimdim
      Add the email-ids of the presenters in the file - one on each line.

4) Save the file and restart the conference server. Only authorized email ids can start meetings now.

Please let me know if this solves your problem. If you need any further assistance please let me know.

Regards,
      Uday
      uday(at)dimdim.com

• Diândria
        Diândria
        2007-07-18

Hi dimdim_uday,

I'm trying to use the authentication with CHECK_EMAIL in 'dimdim_1.6.0_alpha'. I've followed your steps but, every time that I try to connect it shows 'user not authorized'.

Logs:
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        INFO   | jvm 1    | 2007/07/18 11:58:41 | Action redirect data:host-null-tykuape-Admin-admin@dimdim.com-off-null
        INFO   | jvm 1    | 2007/07/18 11:58:42 | Browser type server knows is:ie
        INFO   | jvm 1    | 2007/07/18 11:58:42 | TAG Locale Language:en
        INFO   | jvm 1    | 2007/07/18 11:58:42 | TAG Locale Encode:utf-8
        INFO   | jvm 1    | 2007/07/18 11:58:55 | Action redirect data:host-null-tykuape-Admin-admin@dimdim.com-off-null
        INFO   | jvm 1    | 2007/07/18 11:58:56 | StartNewConferenceCheck returning:error, result code:USER_NOT_AUTHORIZED, message:User not authorized
        INFO   | jvm 1    | 2007/07/18 12:03:06 | User agent is ---------mozilla/4.0 (compatible; msie 6.0; windows nt 5.1; sv1)--------
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        When I used the dimdim_1.5.0 the authentication with CHECK_EMAIL has worked well.

The DimDim is installed in Linux (Slackware 11.0).
        Java version "1.6.0_01"
        Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_01-b06)
        Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0_01-b06, mixed mode, sharing)

Regards,

Diândria

• Stacee Kinney
      Stacee Kinney
      2007-05-20

I downlaoded the latest version of Dimdim server and successfully installed it on a Windows 2003 server. However, I have a couple of problems:
      (a) I tried to follow the instructions given above to set user access for starting a meeting (poor design because this is a foundamental requirement, given that one would not want any ordinary person to be able to use one's server to start meetings at will) however when I made the changes as recommended in the thread above, I could not gain access to start a meeting with the email ID I set up. In fact, I was not able to start a meeting at all, even with the defualt email ID, because I would always get the error message "user not authorized". I had restore the default in the files and then I was able to start a meeting with the default email id that was installed with the system.
      Another problem is that the file "dimdimPresenters.txt" was not present, only the file "dimdimAdmin.txt" was present.

(b)I setup a meeting with at least one user and tried to enter the meeting from another workstation as the user but I was not able to see the "dektop" of the presenter even though "show desktop" option was selected by presenter.

Regards
      Michael

• Hello Michael,

Thanks for using Dimdim. Could you please brief me more about the issue that you were facing?

Regards,
      -Rajesh

• Stacee Kinney
      Stacee Kinney
      2007-06-06

Rajesh,

I tried to to limit user access to the server to allow only athorised email ID to start a conference. I follow the instuction provided earlier in this thread (see below again). However, when I try to start a conference with the email ID I setup I get the following message "User not authorized".

The instuction I followed was as shown below, except that the file "dimdimPresenters.txt" was not present, only the file "dimdimAdmin.txt" was present.

Edit the dimdim.properties file to change the following:-
      dimdim.authenticationPolicy=NO_CHECK
      to 
      dimdim.authenticationPolicy=CHECK_EMAIL

(default location - C:\Program Files\Dimdim\Conference Server\Tomcat 5.5\webapps\dimdim\WEB-INF\classes\resources) 

2) The file containing authorized email ids is specified in the dimdim.properties file as:-

## File cotainning the list of emails authorized to present conferences.
      ##
      dimdim.presenterEmailsFile=dimdimPresenters.txt
      You can leave this as default. 

3) Save the dimdim.properties file. Open the dimdimPresenters.txt file
      The default location of this file is C:\Program Files\Dimdim\Conference Server\Tomcat 5.5\webapps\dimdim
      Add the email-ids of the presenters in the file - one on each line.

4) Save the file and restart the conference server. Only authorized email ids can start meetings now.

• ChakRa
        ChakRa
        2007-07-29

kinney,
        I made the changes in the followinf three files and now i can autheticate with the email that are listed in those files.

1. C:\Program Files\Dimdim\Conference Server\Tomcat 5.5\webapps\dimdim
          The file is called dimdimAdmins.txt. I added my email address there.

2. C:\Program Files\Dimdim\Conference Server\Tomcat 5.5\webapps\dimdim\WEB-INF
           The file names are dimdimAdmins.txt and dimdimPresenter.txt. I added my email in both of them

Now i just have to narrow down to which one of the three files is the one. But just letting you know that the feture does work.
        Still integration with mysql and active directory will give this product a big boost since email address is not reallt something you can hide. You can dedicate an email specially for the web conf but again there are ways to find that email as well.

This product is a great effort just needs some structure.

• Hello Stacee,

Thanks for the info. I will try to reproduce this issue and will update you more on this.

Regards,
      -Rajesh