Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Admin Console / Performance in DimDim 4.5

2008-12-10
2013-05-01
  • Chris Tseng
    Chris Tseng
    2008-12-10

Hi,

Is it possible to modify some admin configuration of dimdim?
    I couldn't find the right admin page of it. Please show me how to do it.

Does any one know how much meetings / people can handle for the standard core 2 duo 2.4 cpu with 4G ram?

Besides, having try out the VMWare Appliance 4.5, this is a pretty good web conferencing tool. I can open 2 or more browser to start the web meeting even with different parties simultaneously.

During the meeting, I monitor the dimdim via esxtop with following scenario:

1. Two Web Meeting with 8 People
    it's showing that the network utilization as 11xx kbps at peak

2. One Web Meeting with 4 People at around 500 kbps

Since there is no default VM tools installed on the CentOS, I think I will try to put the VM tools and gain some network performance improvement to 100Mbps if possible.

Thanks,

Chris

• Rob Frierson
      Rob Frierson
      2008-12-10

We are using the new VMWare ESXi and have tested how many simultaneous meetings we can do too, and have not yet discovered the true limits.  Our servers are a bit "beefier" with quad 3.0Ghz processors and 16Gb of RAM, also running CentOS, but so far we were able to open 50 different meetings at once, most of them with video and the max frames per second, and noticed no slowing anywhere in the program.  The video compression is incredible, and our latency is usually about 2.5 seconds...by that I mean that if the presenter does something like change to a new web brower or document, it takes about 2.5 seconds for it to be fully rendered on the screen of the attendees. 

Is this about what you have noticed?

• Chris Tseng
      Chris Tseng
      2008-12-11

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your message. That's a good result in your environment.

By the way, do you know how can I access the admin console to dimdim. Since I am getting trouble to open that page. At least I want to do some monitoring jobs just in case if the server is heavy loading.

Thanks,

Chris

• Hi,

In this release we do not have admin console.

Instead we have a start and stop scripts available under /usr/local/dimdim and we have a softlink for the same as startDimdim and stopDimdim. For configuring the ipaddress, there is a script available under the same folder /usr/local/dimdim as Config-ipaddress.pl.

Thanks,
        -Rajesh
        rajesh@dimdim.com

• Chris Tseng
      Chris Tseng
      2008-12-12

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for your message. May I know the Radmap of it, what is the time table to see this page?

Just want to know the admin feature, Is it only valid on pay version?

Many thanks,

Chris

• Hi,

The admin console is provided for managing Configuring / Starting / Stoping Dimdim components / checking the status of Dimdim.  This was part of Dimdim 3.5 open source packs that we released in sourceforge.net.

In this release, we added as scripts instead of Admin console. I will discuss with my Product Management about this and let you know the updates. 

Regards,
      -Rajesh
      rajesh@dimdim.com

• richard gibson
      richard gibson
      2008-12-16

Hi,

DimDim 4.5 is great!!!,  we've sucessfully installed the VM appliance on CentOS and have demo'ed it with just a couple of problems:

1. The webpage module will not work I get this error...For all and any URL's submitted...

(Synchrolive could not add the url for sharing. This is a temporary problem. Can you please retry again.)

Help, Is there something we are missing?

2. The DimDim 4.5 VM appliance & CentOS was installed it on a dual quad core 2.5 Ghz, 16 GB ram. and we have been having problems with the video and audio performance with just 5 to 10 users in a meeting.

Is there something we are doing wrong or is there a way to adjust the A/V settings?

Thanks,

Rich

• richard gibson
      richard gibson
      2008-12-16

Hi,

DimDim 4.5 is great!!!,  we've sucessfully installed the VM appliance on CentOS and have demo'ed it with just a couple of problems:

1. The webpage module will not work I get this error...For all and any URL's submitted...

(Synchrolive could not add the url for sharing. This is a temporary problem. Can you please retry again.)

Help, Is there something we are missing?

2. The DimDim 4.5 VM appliance & CentOS was installed it on a dual quad core 2.5 Ghz, 16 GB ram. and we have been having problems with the video and audio performance with just 5 to 10 users in a meeting.

Is there something we are doing wrong or is there a way to adjust the A/V settings?

Thanks,

Rich