Can't install on CentOS 5.2

Kristen
2008-12-12
2013-05-01
  • Kristen
    Kristen
    2008-12-12

I followed all the instructions, and I installed all of the prerequisites. I'm even on CentOS 5.2, which has supposedly been tested with this version of DimDim. Everything was fine. Then I downloaded Dimdim-4.5_SF_i386.rpm and did:
    rpm -ivh Dimdim-4.5_SF_i386.rpm

but I got all of this:

Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
    Checking preinstall checks
    find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc/sys/net: this may be a bug in your filesystem driver.  Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option.  Earlier results may have failed to include directories that should have been searched.
    /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.73913: line 4: [: 5.2: unary operator expected
    Error, OS check failed
    Exit Status...
    error: %pre(dimdim-4.5-1.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
    error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping dimdim-4.5-1

Why would the OS check fail if these are the instructions that are known to work specifically with CentOS 5.2? Here are the other specs:

# uname -r
    2.6.18-028stab053.10-ent

# cat /etc/redhat-release
    CentOS release 5.2 (Final)

# arch
    i686

Does anyone know what my problem could be? Thanks!

• gareth
      gareth
      2008-12-12

I don't know how much immediate help this is, but I can confirm that 4.5 installed smoothly on my Cent 5.2 server.

# uname -r
      2.6.18-92.1.18.el5

# cat /etc/redhat-release
      CentOS release 5.2 (Final)

# arch
      i686

• I also can't install on CentOS 5.3.

Same error message. Please help.

• John Grey
    John Grey
    2009-10-28

Hi All, I'm replying to this post instead of creating a new one since I seem not to be able to

• John Grey
    John Grey
    2009-10-28

find a way to start a new thread…, kind of strange, but anyway, I have a problem with initial setup as well. My WMWare Infra Server seems to be changing the ip of my dimdim vm. Re-config with 192.168.0.XX 80 option with prior stop and subsequent restart does not help as it causes multiple breakdowns at start up…, what do I do? I have Vista64 and trying dimdim 4.5 open source. Please help!

• Obinna Amalu
    Obinna Amalu
    2009-11-06

hey Sathitc

you  cant install on centos 5.3 because didmdim has an OS version check in the rpm install script which reads the /etc/issue file to see the line CentOS Release 5.2 (final). If it doesnt see that line, it aborts your installation. I had this same issue as I had to install it on RHEL 5 due to my company policy. Simply doing that, it works. Hope it helps

• Obinna Amalu
    Obinna Amalu
    2009-11-06

ddyr u have the same issue i addressed above. You could do the same thing

• dspectra1
    dspectra1
    2009-12-11

You can install on Centos 5.3 you just change the version release in /etc to be 5.2. I run on 5.3

• dspectra1
    dspectra1
    2009-12-11

Hard link count is most likely due to a problem with a faulty install or boot. Looks like a problem with how the network is being setup. reboot and look for errors during the startup there should be no failed services. You may need to reinstall the OS.