Content Rights Compromised: Terms of Service

2008-09-03
2013-05-01
  • David McNab
    David McNab
    2008-09-03

Do I really lose my copyright to material shared in meetings when I used Dim Dim? This seems unconscionable for support of collaboration on any topic of commercial value...

... please advise that powerpoints, files and discussions are not really property of DimDim when we use this platform !

The terms of service on the D-D site indicates this:

You agree that you are solely responsible for (and that Dimdim has no responsibility to you or to any third party for) any content that you create, transmit or display while using the Services and for the consequences of your actions (including any loss or damage which Dimdim may suffer) by doing so.
    By submitting, posting or displaying the content you hereby grant Dimdim a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services for any purpose, and You confirm and warrant to Dimdim that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license to Dimdim.

• Steve Chazin
      Steve Chazin
      2008-09-18

David,

You do not lose your copyright simply by using Dimdim.  That clause was introduced to prevent users of the hosted service from uploading material content to which THEY do not own the copyright, say photos or PDFs of magazines, recording those sessions and then "rebroadcasting" it using our service.  The "you confirm and warrant to Dimdim that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license to Dimdim" was the clincher.  We will update the TOS accordingly to remove this apparent contradiction and remove the clause stating that we own your hard work.