Needs Admin rights for win7 32 and 64

2012-05-07
2012-05-08
  • Works Ok, but wont give stats for boot drive under Windows 7 32 or 64.
    You must run as admin to get the stats for the boot drive
    Thats a bug

• Jim Michaels
    Jim Michaels
    2012-05-08

I unfortunately don't have a windows 7 to test, only windows 8. I have only found 1 manifest that works across all platforms. I am using the manifest
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
    <ms_asmv2:trustInfo xmlns:ms_asmv2="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
    <ms_asmv2:security>
    <ms_asmv2:requestedPrivileges>
    <ms_asmv2:requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker">
    </ms_asmv2:requestedExecutionLevel>
    </ms_asmv2:requestedPrivileges>
    </ms_asmv2:security>
    </ms_asmv2:trustInfo>
    </assembly>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    as usual, none of microsoft's manifests seem to work. I could strip the manifest out and see what happens. but it won't work under program files.

that's why I included the manifest. I didn't want to set the manifest execution level as requireAdministrator (microsoft says it's not recommended).

that's not a bug,that some sort of protection thing of windows 7's UAC, my code has nothing to do with it. runs fine on my XP and on windows 8 on C:.

there are 2 other possibilities,

• it is quite possible there's file corruption - this happens over time on windows machines. when was the last time you repaired your filesystem?

• system instabilities can be caused by overheating. overheating is caused by a clogged cpu cooler or a stopped cpu cooler fan. clean it out every 6 months to a year,no dirt clods, please. canned air and tweezers.

I am supposed to be getting a windows 7 machine at some point I guess, but I don't have it yet.

I will try to release a no-manifest version. I hope it doesn't break everyone's systems. maybe it willwork just fine - I know XP doesn't care.

Last edit: Jim Michaels 2012-05-08