Need help getting source

2006-01-20
2012-12-07
  • Matthew Dwyer
    Matthew Dwyer
    2006-01-20

Hi

I have the source to Dev-PHP 3.0 but I'm having difficultly getting my Delphi 6 Enterprise to load the project.  I think I have all of the vcl's used but I don't know precisely which I have to get, where from and what versions.  I've had a look around here and your website but not really found much documentation for people like me who are keen to alter the project.  There are some issues I am keen to fix.

Matt

• Matthew Dwyer
      Matthew Dwyer
      2006-01-20

Hmm..  I might be alright without help.  After posting I clicked in the About Box and there was the info I was missing. :) Now I might be able to compile the code.

• Matthew Dwyer
      Matthew Dwyer
      2006-01-21

OK I've almost got there, but I'm having trouble with a few compile errors.  I suspect XPManifest is a Delphi 7 thing.  If thats correct, I can't compile the project as I have Delphi 6.  Which Delphi version is required?

• For Dev-PHP 2.0 (EDI), 'm using Delphi 6 (6.163).
        Manifest is usually a microsoft thing.
        Which compile-errors have you encountered ?

• Matthew Dwyer
      Matthew Dwyer
      2006-01-21

Just these 3 at the moment.  Its saying I am missing things but AFAIK I have installed all of the components used.  Evidently not..

class TSpTBXLabelItem not found (I do have TBX installed)

TdevFileMonitor not found

TXPManifest not found.

The first problem may just be the version of TBX is wrong.  Don't know about the other two.

• Did you check http://devphp.sourceforge.net/dev3/ (there's a link from Dev-PHP home page) ?
        The topic called 'Required Components' could help...

• Matthew Dwyer
      Matthew Dwyer
      2006-01-21

The main issue I want to fix should be an easy one.  I get a lot of unnecessary white space added to the end of lines when I copy and paste code.  Just needs a right trim added.  I live on IRC.  If its possible to get live help getting started, that would be brilliant.

• | a lot of unnecessary white space added to the end of lines when I copy and paste code

that sounds quite obvious...
        Enjoy
        ;)

• Matthew Dwyer
      Matthew Dwyer
      2006-01-21

AH!  Thanks, exactly what I needed.  I managed to miss that :) All of my problems relate to incorrect versions of components.

• Matthew Dwyer
      Matthew Dwyer
      2006-01-21

• Matthew Dwyer
      Matthew Dwyer
      2006-01-21

Correction, not missing but case sensitive and your list has the wrong case.  I got the file.

• You're right, the true file name is sptbxlib.0.5.zip
        This can't be fixed because all files are marked "rw-r--r--" and their owner has gone away at the moment.

• Matthew Dwyer
      Matthew Dwyer
      2006-01-22

Hmm..  despite now having all the parts, it still won't compile for me :(

One of the problems is the file monitor (which comes from Dev-C++.  I have the code and put it in the dir with the Dev-PHP source, but at compile it says it is not found, ditto the XPManifest.

• Matthew Dwyer
      Matthew Dwyer
      2006-01-22

Bah!  The more I try to get the components to work, the more convinced I am that you can't compile with the provided components.  Two of them just don't appear to be visual components so Delphi cannot find them.  If I'm wrong, how do I plug in devFileMonitor?

• Matthew Dwyer
      Matthew Dwyer
      2006-01-22

Did some more research.  XPMan is a Delphi 7 package.  Time to crack open an evaluation copy.

• Matthew Dwyer
      Matthew Dwyer
      2006-01-22

Ha!  Well obviously.  I didn't spend the last two years coding Delphi without picking that one up :)

No they just aren't finding a few things even though everything to my knowledge has been installed.

The main problem is it requires Delphi 7 which I do not have, so while I really like the 3.0 version, I can't touch it.

Oh well, I'll just have to put in a feature request.

• :-[ i did not want to hurt you about Delphi.

I will have only one interrogation - by drawing aside the assertion according to which 3 is inevitably better than 2 *and* in order to prevent that branch 3 remains definitively a dead branch

Which are the functionalities, present in the 3.0 version that it would be well to find back in version 2.0 ?

• Andrew Murphy
          Andrew Murphy
          2006-01-22

Let me forward by saying I haven't used 2.x in months, but, in my opinion, 3.0 has the following things on it sister branch:

-Fast editor: I use eclipse for projects, I don't need another IDE; devphp3 is great for quickly loading and pumping out a script for testing or quick and dirty purposes

-its prettier, in my opinion. Mind you, I run winxp using the "classic" theme, and perhaps devphp2 is better looking in "xp theme," but it feels too "boxy" to me.

-it doesn't have everything and the kitchen sink attached to it. Like I mentioned, devphp3 is fast, and works great for how I prefer using it, as an editor. I don't need to load up a binary that does everything.

From what I understand, devphp2 is focused more at people who want an IDE, while devphp3 is focused more at people who want an editor. Which is fine, different audiences, different products.

Anyways, my two cents.

• where is the source?????
      there is no source package
      No CVS tree and no instructions on the svn path to obtain the source for this project
      so where do i get it?

• Hello Sir,

You are welcome.
        The source is usually located at
        http://www.mswil.ch/websvn/listing.php?repname=devphp_editor
        Via subversion, you might reach it with
        svn://www.mswil.ch/devphp_editor

Since you probably did waste your time, we do apologize, Sir.

Nota bene : The home page of this project mentions a uniform resource locator to a versionning system - subversion, as far as I know.