Access Violation error in versions .305 -.307

Help
dt30
2008-01-21
2012-12-07
  • dt30
    dt30
    2008-01-21

I have been having some errors with trying the new versions out.  I was displaying photos and thought maybe my coding error was displaying photo data directly to the browser causing problems.  However, I was trying another project which had a simple html and still got the Access Violation errors and sometimes shut the whole IDE down.

I tried .306 and .305 with the same results.  When I went back to .300, everything worked.  I also noticed in .307 that the screen state (maximized/restore/real small) alternates on each startup of the program, there is a "10=Format" on the menubar, the search dropdown has "157=Find First", and the options dropdown has "Show Special Chars" but no check for update, which when clicked will check for updates.

I only downloaded the .exe and copied it to the dev-php folder.  It appears to me that there might be a new .ini file needed with it.  (Which may have nothing to do with the error)  Do I need to download or do something else? 

• > Do I need to download or do something else ?
      omg ! That's right :-[
      I've forgotten to say that one must download the file with installer, then install

> "10=Format", "157=Find First", ...
      This means that the language file is not up to date.
      Actually each lang file is a .INI like file.
      This file (english.lng for instance) doesn't give any translation for keys 10 and 157
      If you download and install the last version, this should disappear.
      Next version will use dxGetText.

> Access Violation errors .305 to .307 - But .300 seems ok
      First, thank you for all the tests you've done.
      Does this issue mean that a simple "<?php phpinfo() ?> doesn't work from Internal preview ?

Best regards,
      Pierre.

• dt30
        dt30
        2008-01-22

>If you download and install the last version, this should disappear.

That did the trick - for the commands, anyway.

>Does this issue mean that a simple "<?php phpinfo() ?> doesn't work from Internal preview ?

Code:
        <?php
        phpinfo();
        exit;
        ?>

Sometimes it gives the error the first time you preview.  Other times you have to go back and forth to the editor view and then preview several times.  It can give an access violation or illegal operation closing the program.  Though, sometimes, it just gives access violation over and over requiring a ctrl+alt+del to terminate the process. :-(

And sometimes, after the first access violation error, just moving the mouse around will give another one in the preview or editor.  It can give the error as part of the preview results or as a popup dialog.  In the preview pane, it says "Write of address 01010101" which I find interesting.  The popup shows various addresses.  A few times I get an external exception of C000001D.  (Any of the addresses of any use to give?)

Version .300 doesn't do it for all the times I've tried.
        Is there some ini file left over that is/isn't changed or could it be a Win98 issue?

• > Version .300 doesn't do it for all the times I've tried.
          So version .300 works fine : that's a good start.

> Could it be a Win98 issue ?
          From XP, I've no problem. So I agree with you : it *could* be a Win98 issue.
          Unfortunately, my Win98 machine doesn't boot anymore - and so does my dual boot
          Actually everything seems pretty broken :(

In short (from our subversion server - Thanks again, Urs :)
          300 : works fine
          301-304 : nothing to do with Internal preview.
          305 : you reported that this version has the bug !

The contents of version 305 :
          1) I patched idCGIRunner this will be our first test.
          2) I worked on Syntax check - interesting to test afterwards.

To be continued. Regards,
          Pierre.

• Urs Mäder
            Urs Mäder
            2008-01-23

>>In short (from our subversion server - Thanks again, Urs :)
            Hi Pierre

Thousand Thanks for you!! In this summer, the server will be
            changed to a new one (faster). Should we change to sourceforge or will you
            have the project repository on "my" server? What you think about?

Best Regards
            Urs

• Hi Urs,

Of course, if you don't mind,
              I would like to continue to be hosted on *your* new server.
              (1- sourceforge is overcrowded,
              2- you allow many more access rights than sourceforge does)
              From my point of view, your current server is already very fast !

Sincerely yours,
              Pierre.

• Urs Mäder
                Urs Mäder
                2008-01-23

Hello Pierre

no problem to have the svnserver on our server. This can give
                you some small downtimes in July/August this year.
                fast at this time is only the connection with 10Mbit up/download.
                the server itself is a really old machine (may be 15 years or more)
                with only 8 GB SCSI Disk and is hosting all of our webpages. Its really
                time to change!

Regards,
                Urs

• Hi dt30,

I tried to patch idCGIRunner and, at the moment,
            I got many "Access Violation" errors :(

• dt30
              dt30
              2008-01-27

Uh oh.  :(

• Hi dt30.

Well - it took me a long time to build the 2.3.0
                This version is using gettext (and dxgettext of course).

I've never forgotten the
                > "Access Violation error in versions..."
                > Uh oh. :(

Here are some tracks.
                First, msie seems more stable than mozilla Active-X
                I'm not using this last Active-X any longer...
                Because FireFox and FireBug are incredibly more efficient :)

1- Since I believe that you're using this Active-X,
                If you could switch back to msie, then Dev-PHP should be more stable.

2- I was thinking that you were working with gif, png, ..., jpg files
                So I've just updated the idCGIRunner component.
                Now, we are faster *and* using less memory.
                This is gained because only 'php' and 'htm' files are sent to the PHP parser; the other files are directly sent to Indy and don't have any backtrace into Dev-PHP (thru the 'source' tabsheet).
                Unfortunately, I realized only now that I've made a mistake :
                The bug you reported is obtained with a simple
                <?php phpinfo(); ?>

To be continued.

• Hi dt30,

It took me a long time to build a Win.98 environment, sorry about that. Actually it's made of microsoft Virtual PC.

Well, I think that the "Internal Preview" is more stable now.
                However, there are no more informations provided thru the "Source" tabsheet (inside the "Internal Preview" one).

There is a new Exp version - see the home page http://devphp.sourceforge.net/

Best regards,
                Pierre.

• dt30
                  dt30
                  2008-05-07

I've been using it for some time now, and so far, haven't found any problems with internal preview.  Thanks for tip of using localhost:8080.  That works nice and can show pages in some instances when internal preview doesn't.  Still, it's nice to have internal preview when you just want to quickly check something.

Just a comment about the tabs.  I see there is now an icon by each filename.  This takes up more space.  No matter how many times I close tabs, I always find there are several rows of tabs before long.  Now, there is a bit more space.  Just something to consider.

• Hi dt30,

> Just a comment about the tabs. I see there is now an icon by each filename.
                    > This takes up more space.
                    That is correct.

> I always find there are several rows of tabs before long.
                    So it would be nice to have a check box to enable / disable the icons on the tabs, wouldn't it be ?
                    Enable could be checked by default.

Best regards,
                    Pierre.

• dt30
                      dt30
                      2008-05-12

>So it would be nice to have a check box to enable / disable the icons on the tabs, wouldn't it be ?

I was afraid you'd ask that.  I've been thinking that would add another complexity for minimal benefit. 

Isn't the purpose of the icon to indicate an edited file?  If that is all, then an alternative is to indicate a similar state through just the filename on the tab.  For example: color, underline, fontstyle or some other highlighting.

• Well, Tab Icons are used to mark each modified file.
                        However, icons occupy too much space.
                        Instead, we could use a font style or background color.
                        But it's much more simple (for me) to work with icons.
                        Could we use Tab Icons anyway, but only to indicate modified files ?

In case of disagreement could you file a feature request ?

• dt30
                          dt30
                          2008-05-13

>But it's much more simple (for me) to work with icons.

I didn't know, but didn't want it to become complex for a minor issue.

>Could we use Tab Icons anyway, but only to indicate modified files ?

Ahhh.  I like that idea!  Seems like I've seen something similar elsewhere except on all tabs, with modified ones being a pencil/notepad.  Maybe adding an icon of something like a pencil (or whatever makes sense) only on the modified ones would be simple AND not take up much space.  Sounds good to me.  - With the added benefit of being quite noticeable.  It took me awhile to notice what was different and then I saw the color change on the edited ones.

• >> Could we use Tab Icons anyway, but only to indicate modified files ?
                            > Maybe adding an icon of something like a pencil (or whatever makes sense)

Drawing is definitely not my cup of tea :)
                            I started with a red pencil icon,
                            but at the moment I've choosen a red note because of
                            > It took me awhile to notice what was different

Indeed, this last icon is already used (in grey) and might be more "self explanatory" than the red pencil icon.
                            http://devphp2.free.fr/files/redpencil2a.bmp
                            http://devphp2.free.fr/files/rednote.bmp