Andrea Fazzi
    2008-07-20

Hi,

there is some problem when requiring deplate 0.8.3 gem:

irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
    => true
    irb(main):002:0> require 'deplate'
    LoadError: no such file to load -- deplate/formatter
        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in `gem_original_require'
        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in `require'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/deplate-0.8.3/lib/deplate/template.rb:19
        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require'
        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/deplate-0.8.3/lib/deplate.rb:26
        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in `gem_original_require'
        from (irb):2
    irb(main):003:0>

Bye.
    Andrea

• Andrea Fazzi
      Andrea Fazzi
      2008-07-20

I'm using rubygems version 1.2.0

Bye.
      Andrea

• Tom Link
      Tom Link
      2008-07-20

I uploaded a newly packaged version that looks good to me (but the original one did too):
      http://deplate.sourceforge.net/deplate-testing.gem

I still use rubygems 1.1.1 though.

> from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/deplate-0.8.3/lib/deplate/template.rb:19

That is:

> require 'deplate/formatter'

I don't quite see what's wrong with that. (The file exists on your disk?)

You could try these commands to check for additional information:

$ ruby --debug -e "require 'deplate'; require 'deplate/formatter'"
      $ ruby --debug -e "module Deplate; end; require 'deplate/formatter'"

Otherwise ...?

Do you have GEM_HOME, GEM_PATH set?

• Andrea Fazzi
        Andrea Fazzi
        2008-07-20

I think the problem is related to rubygems 1.2.0:

andrea@andrea-laptop:~$ ruby --debug -e "require 'rubygems'; require 'deplate'"
        Exception `LoadError' at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:772 - no such file to load -- rubygems/defaults/operating_system
        Exception `LoadError' at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27 - no such file to load -- deplate
        /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/deplate-0.8.3/lib/deplate/input.rb:556: warning: `&' interpreted as argument prefix
        /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/deplate-0.8.3/lib/deplate/particles.rb:322: warning: `&' interpreted as argument prefix
        Exception `LoadError' at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27 - no such file to load -- deplate/formatter
        Exception `LoadError' at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32 - no such file to load -- deplate/formatter
        Exception `LoadError' at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:34 - no such file to load -- deplate/formatter
        /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- deplate/formatter (LoadError)
            from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require'
            from -e:1

With rubygems 1.1.1 all seems ok.

Bye.
        Andrea

• Andrea Fazzi
          Andrea Fazzi
          2008-07-20

No, the problem is not related with rubygems 1.2.0 but with the file permission I have on formatter.rb (read only by root).
          This sounds strange because I installed rubygems and deplate from scratch on a VirtualBox machine with Xubuntu 8.04 without making any file permission changes on it ...

Andrea

• Andrea Fazzi
            Andrea Fazzi
            2008-07-20

Ok, I can reproduce and fix the problem in this way:

1. Remove all versions of deplate

sudo gem uninstall deplate

2. Install the last version of deplate

sudo gem install deplate

3. Throw the error

andrea@ganimoide:~$ irb
            => true
            LoadError: no such file to load -- deplate/formatter
                    from (irb):2

4. Enter in deplate lib directory and check formatter.rb permissions

cd /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/deplate-0.8.3/lib/deplate/
            ls -l formatter.rb

-rw------- 1 root root 57741 2008-07-20 16:23 formatter.rb

5. Change formatter.rb permissions

sudo chmod a+r formatter.rb

6. Test if the problem has been fixed

andrea@ganimoide:~$ irb
            => true
            => true

So, I think there is some problem in formatter.rb's permissions packaged in the gem.

Bye.
            Andrea

• Tom Link
            Tom Link
            2008-07-20

May I ask you if you could give http://deplate.sourceforge.net/deplate-testing.gem a try.

The permission of formatter.rb was actually wrong. On cygwin/windows, rubygems installed in with the right permissions though.

• Andrea Fazzi
              Andrea Fazzi
              2008-07-20

Hi Thomas,

deplate-testing.gem works.

Thank you.
              Andrea

• Tom Link
                Tom Link
                2008-07-20

Many thanks.