Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

latex environments and paragraph spacing

Deplate
Brett
2008-10-21
2013-04-17
  • Brett
    Brett
    2008-10-21

Hi,

I'm using deplate all the time for writing my documents now. There appears to be a limitation with the translation into latex however. There is an important difference in latex between this:

bla bla bla
    \begin{quote}
    ble ble ble
    \end{quote}
    continuing bla bla bla

and this:

bla bla bla

\begin{quote}
    ble ble ble
    \end{quote}

continuing bla bla bla

The extra line breaks in the second example starts a new paragraph after the quote, and change the spacing. It seems that deplate *always* does it this second way, though that is not what is always wanted.

Is there any way to get deplate to produce latex like the first example. Notice that this occurs with other environments too (like enumerate).

Thanks
    Brett

• Tom Link
      Tom Link
      2008-10-21

I see. I wasn't aware of this difference. I think this would require adding an extra parameter to the "region".

1. Would something like this be ok for you?

bla bla bla

#Quote inline! <<--
      ble ble ble
      --

continuing bla bla bla

2. Do you know a better name for this than "inline"?

Regards,
      Thomas.

• Tom Link
        Tom Link
        2008-10-24

The version in the CVS now knows an inlay! parameter. So you could do:

#Quote inlay! <<--
        Foo bar
        --

This will prevent deplate from adding that extra newline after latex environments. If you want to add this paramter to all #Quote regions, you could take a look here: http://deplate.sourceforge.net/Variables.html#hd0014004001

HTH

• Brett
      Brett
      2008-10-28

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for the late reply (off at the beach for a while).

I haven't tested the CVS version yet. I'll do it after I finish writing this. But note that there is a similar problem even when not using regions, with "itemize"

bla bla
        - item 1
        - item 2
      bla bla

Will generate extra spaces too. I'm not sure how you could fix this one...

Brett

• Tom Link
        Tom Link
        2008-10-28

With the updated cvs version, you could do:

bla bla 
        - item 1
        - item 2
        #PP: inlay!
        bla bla

I don't want to implement too much whitespace magic (ie set this property depending on whether there is some empty line after the list/environment or not). If you'd want to use this more often, I'd suggest to define some symbolic shortcut for it using #DefineElement or so.

• Brett
          Brett
          2008-10-29

Sounds good. And I agree: too much magic is a bad thing.

Thanks for your help. I much prefer editing in Vim with deplate rather than latex.

Cheers,
          Brett