Using ddclient on Siemens 6520 modem, SUCCESS

Help
2008-04-30
2013-01-14
  • Dylan Fahey
    Dylan Fahey
    2008-04-30

Hi All,
    Just spent some time getting this to work, so I thought I'd post that I was able to get the Siemens (Speedstream) 6520 Router Modem to give up its WAN ip address. I'm using this router modem on the Frontiernet network in the USA. It's a DSL ATM PPPOA network collage of junk, pieced together to resemble a working network.

Here's what you need to edit into the ddclient.conf file:
    #fw-login=admin,             fw-password=XXXXXX         # FW login and password
    fw-login=yourusername           fw-password=youruserpassword

## To obtain an IP address from FW status page (using fw-login, fw-password)
    #use=fw, fw=192.168.1.254/status.htm, fw-skip='IP Address' # found after IP Address
    use=fw, fw=192.168.1.254/setBackLink.cgi?back=mymodem_summary.htm&dest=internet_options.htm

Dont forget to add the http port number on the modem access, if you've changed it,
    example:  fw=192.168.1.254:8080/setBackLink.cgi?back=mymodem_summary.htm&dest=internet_options.htm

This may work on many other siemens modems, I don't know. How did I find this out. In firefox, I brought up the modem page, logged in, right clicked resulting page, selected Frame Info, then, clicked on the 'Links' tab.  Low and behold that's where the url showed up for the wan ip address:
    http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/setBackLink.cgi?back=mymodem_summary.htm&dest=internet_options.htm

Of course then update the zone info lower down in the conf file.

I think this will help others that just don't want to depend on the 'web' function of the ddclient and want to get the IP from the modem.  I'm pretty sure alot of people in Australia have this modem on their networks.

• wimpunk
      wimpunk
      2008-05-05

Thanks for the post. Maybe I should add a extra section about different routers on the wiki...

• Dylan Fahey
      Dylan Fahey
      2008-12-30

Wimpunk,
        Just wanted to say that all is fine after 7 months of usage, reboots work fine, startup in unbuntu 8.10 work fine, all is well.

Thanks for all the great work!!!

Have a Happy New Year!!!

Dylan

• wimpunk
        wimpunk
        2008-12-31

Thank you for sending this feed.  It's nice to know there are happy people out there.

• Dylan Fahey
    Dylan Fahey
    2010-03-12

Still going strong after 2 years.  Thank you!

Feel free to add that config into the sample.conf file on the next release for the Speedstream 6520:.
    use=fw, fw=192.168.1.254/setBackLink.cgi?back=mymodem_summary.htm&dest=internet_options.htm