Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Limiting the propagation of Foreign Keys

Help
davism
2008-04-03
2013-03-06
  • davism
    davism
    2008-04-03

I could easily be missing something, but I can't seem to find a way to limit the propagation of foreign keys.  I have three tables, lets call them A, B, and C with the default primary keys idA, idB and idC.  If I create 1:n relations from A to B and then from B to C.  I get foreign key creation in C of B_idB and B_A_idA.  However, I know I never want to search C using idA, so I would like to eliminate this unnecessary foreign key.  Trying to delete the key from table C warns that the key will be automatically regenerated, and sure enough it is.  I also just tried blanking out the Dest. Name in the Relation Editor, but that doesn't do anything.

So, is there a way to do this?

What would seem to be the right approach would be for the Relation Editor to have a checkbox for each row in the Foreign Keys section to indicate whether the given key needs to be propagated or not.

• Valdeva Crema
      Valdeva Crema
      2008-04-07

It sounds like what you want here is non-identifying relationships instead of identifying ones.  This will remove this issue of automatic key propagation.    

• davism
        davism
        2008-04-07

Thanks that is exactly the point I was missing.