Selective Wiping

Help
Mr Ed
2014-06-14
2014-08-06
  • Mr Ed
    Mr Ed
    2014-06-14

My initial concern with DBAN was the possibility that I would boot from DVD, and the software would wipe drives that I don't want wiped.

That possiblity would exist only with extremely poor software design, but I didn't want to take the chance.

I then found a description of DBAN (on it's official site), stating that DBAN "...automatically deletes the contents of any hard disk that it can detect".

If that is true, I certainly don't want to use it.

If it has the OPTION to act in that manner, that's another matter.

A more reasonable approach (and what it probably does) is to present a menu upon boot.

I loaded the ISO (as a virtual DVD), and found a text file that is likely presented as instructions on boot-up.

It forces the user to enter a sequence of letters (which would not occur accidently, to start "automatic mode").

Requiring a sequence is a very good idea.

However, if "automatic mode" means wiping any drive that DBAN can detect, then there should be a warning, in capital letters,

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!! DANGER! DANGER!

SELECTING AUTOMATIC MODE WILL WIPE ALL DRIVES THAT DBAN CAN DETECT!!

Maybe there is such a warning, and last chance to back out, if automatic mode is selected (and, if indeed, it does wipe all detected drives).

So, my question is, if I boot a DBAN-DVD, will I have the chance to select WHICH DRIVE I want erased (i.e., AFTER BOOTING, can I make certain that DBAN erases ONLY those drives that I want erased)?

While I can take the precaution of detaching any USB drive that I don't want wiped, detaching the internal drive would be a pain, particularly for this machine (I don't want the internal drive wiped).

Last edit: Mr Ed 2014-06-14
  • Jim
    Jim
    2014-08-06

I have the same concern. Cant find any info. I have 2 disks with 4 partisans and only want to wipe one partisan ( C")??

If you ever get an answere please emil it to me,too.

Jim

• Jim
    Jim
    2014-08-06

Update...I just found a disk Partition wiper on CNET its Macrorcit Disk Partition Wiper..freeware..I booted an old PC with Dban and there is no way to
    dectate which disk or partition to wipe. Be aware.

Jim