DBAN will boot, but not on mine.

Help
faceskull
2012-12-09
2013-05-21
  • faceskull
    faceskull
    2012-12-09

I recently acquired a used desktop. My mother gave it to me saying a women gave it to her because she thinks there was a virus on it and didn't want it anymore. I wanted to use DBAN to wipe out the hard drive but the disc is not working. When I try to boot it on the CD it comes up to the 'Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility'. I've changed the settings in BIOS to run on the CD drive, disabled all other boot options and saved the changes. Tried the other drive, no luck. Other CDs allow me to boot but it keeps ignoring DBAN. I tried an older version of DBAN but that didn't work either. I tried this disc on other computers and it works.  I've checked the forums and haven't found my answer. I think the problem must be with the computer? Anyone have any idea what I can do or check for?

I should add that when I start up the computer it comes up GRUB menu screen giving me options of: Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-generic….. Memory test (memtest86+) The Memory tests work but Ubuntu just leads to a blank screen and Recovery Mode gives me options but always asks for a login which I have no knowledge of.

Thank you.

Dell Dimension 2400
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz