Menu

Hard Drives inaccessable after running DBAN?

Help
ds33405
2006-10-25
2013-05-21
  • ds33405

ds33405 - 2006-10-25

I've been having an intermittent problem after using DBAN (autonuke and quick wipe methods), where the hard drive is un-useable afterwards. This sounds like the same problem user "supershisa" reported a few posts down. The computer's BIOS can see the drive, but anything else (DOS, WinXP, Linux) cannot "see" it to format or install to it. For example, XP says there's no drives available to install on, and other disk tools report "error 21, drive not ready".

Supershisa reported that he was able to use OSX's Disk Utility to fix the drive (no details given), and I'm going to try that shortly. However, I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem, and knows what causes it or how to prevent it. It doesn't happen on every drive I've wiped (maybe 1 in 3).

Any help is appreciated.

• Darik Horn

Darik Horn - 2006-10-25

This is usually caused by incorrectly jumpered disks.

You'll need to follow the forum rules to get more help.

• ds33405

ds33405 - 2006-10-26

Sorry, I forgot to post my setup:

1. The DBAN release is 1.0.7.
      2. The DBAN media is floppy disk.
      3. The computer manufacturer(s): Various: Dell Dimension L1000R and 2100, IBM 300GL-47U and 69U, various models of Systemax (generic AMD 500-700Mhz machines).
      4. The exact message that you see: None, DBAN completes without error.
      5. Anything else that is unusual: Nothing that I can think of.

It's not a problem with the drive jumpers. The BIOS recognizes the drives, and DBAN also recognizes them if I re-run it.

• Darik Horn

Darik Horn - 2006-10-26

Run DBAN again on these computers with "boot: quick" and mail the DBAN000.TGZ log file to support@dban.org with the Dell model number or Dell asset tag.

I think that these computers are based on the Intel 800 chipset.  Microsoft Windows XP is bundled with drivers for these computers, but earlier releases must load the Dell D0377c01 driver package at install time.

Which utility is reporting Error 21?

Which Linux distro did you try?  Send the dmesg or installation log to support@dban.org.