Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Old Dell - tried several versions and set-up

Help
2013-05-01
2013-05-21
  • Aimee Reeder
    Aimee Reeder
    2013-05-01

Thanks in advance for any advice.  I have searched through the forums and not found a solution.

I burned the latest version and successfully wiped an old laptop.  Moved on with the same disc to an old 2003 Dell Dimension (that is still running strong just slow btw!!).  Didn't work.

Headed to the forums and tried burning older versions of DBAN.  Didn't work.  Tried the discs in each drive (DVD drive and CD-R drive).  Didn't work.  Tried changing Boot Sequence to IDE CD-ROM Device only.  Turned Primary Master Drive OFF.  Didn't work.

Did I miss something in the help forums? 

I would be so very grateful for your help!!

• Aimee Reeder
    Aimee Reeder
    2013-05-03

I found success by downloading an even older version: 1.0.4 and disabling everything I could in BIOS except the USB ports because I have a USB keyboard plugged in.  I have no idea what I disabled but eventually something I disabled allowed this old version to work!  Advice for novices: Keep trying the forums to isolate all the various problems.  For me it was finding an old DBAN version file that worked with such an old Dell model, learning that the computer read the CD from the DVD drive and not the CD drive, choosing CD-ROM in boot sequence in BIOS (and that BIOS means F2 Set-up upon booting for my computer), figuring out that the USB keyboard needed to be enabled in BIOS and figuring out that many other things needed to be disabled in BIOS.  Then the final kicker was that in the DBAN version I needed to use you can't just hit enter right away to make the program work, you have to select the drive first using an Fkey and then you can hit enter.  Lots of trial and error for a non-tech person but it is working!  Heads up that this was an extreme case because the DELL PC is so old.  The laptop I did with the newest version of DBAN was a breeze!!!  So wonderful this is free.