Does DBAN really work?

Help
2012-11-14
2013-05-21
  • Alex McIntosh
    Alex McIntosh
    2012-11-14

I should have no reason to doubt that this program does what everybody says it does…. SO…

I recently wiped my computer's one and only Hard Disk with the DoD Short 3 pass method, verifying the last pass. After 7 odd hours (298gb HD) DBAN finnished, informing me that everything went according to plan.
    I then installed windows XP back onto the system with no trouble. Once XP was up and running and drivers were installed I opened up IE to download my regular internet browser Mozilla Firefox. Once firefox was installed and I had AVG running i can safely browse the web!

This is when I noticed that quite a few web pages on google searches within firefox were showing up PURPLE in colour, not blue… These were websites I had visited in the past few days/weeks, but certainly not since I DBAN'd the drive! Everything was new, I thought this was supposed to be a fresh start! So how does a fresh download then install of Firefox know what websites I had visited previously…..

Any possible explanations?

(I might add that I do have an external harddrive that was unattached during the disk nuke, then reattached after nuke to transfer important files back onto the system. When this external drive was re-attached at turned on, 4 .txt docs that I had previously deleted (before nuke) from the external drive appeared in the recycle bin. Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not)

• Scott
    Scott
    2012-11-14

I can assure you that your hard drive was wiped clean and you now have a fresh installation of windows and firefox.  My only guess for you is that Google keeps track of the websites you visit.  They say they do this for marketing purposes so the ads you see pop up are related to the sites you visit.  Targeted Ads.  When you are logged into Google, or any google related account, such as YouTube, Goggle keeps a record of every website you visit.  They been doing that for years.  So, I'm guessing that it's not the hard drive or your computer that remembered what websites you had previously visited, that information was pulled from Google - provided you did log into Google or a website owned by Google such as Hotmail, YouTube, etc.  By the way, Yahoo does the same thing.

• Johan West
    Johan West
    2012-12-04

I'm wondering the same thing.  Are all virusses wiped away when choosing the short wiping method of one pass?

I assume I still have a virus.

My question is: do all erasing methods of DBAN guarantee your disk is clean and virus-free ?

• Jim
    Jim
    2012-12-23

If you restored your Documents tree, you also restored the Firefox browser cache.